Homecoming activities begin this weekend at UA

By: Brittney Wargo

It’s that time of year — Homecoming week is finally here!

The University of Akron is kicking off another great year with the annual Homecoming weekend, held Oct. 3-8. There are many events planned for UA students to participate in, such as special performers, a Homecoming parade, a 5K race and walk and even an office decorating contest. Many of the students seem eager to see what UA has to offer them.

“We’re definitely going to make Homecoming bigger and better this year. We’re trying to include all UA current students, Alumis, and family members to participate in this special event to really show everyone how much Akron has really changed over the years,” said Campus Programs Coordinator Lorri March.

“I’m excited to see what the Homecoming is going to be like and it’s also a great way to meet new friends,” UA student Kayla Hatterer said.

Special guest performances will include Ross Mathews, who has been on “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno,” Oscar and Grammy Award winner Herbie Hancock and UA alumnus comedian George Wallace. Herbie Hancock and George Wallace will require tickets purchased ahead of time, which UA students can buy for $10 at E.J. Thomas Performing Arts Hall.

“I love Herbie Hancock, I can’t wait to see him,” freshman Mike Newhouse said.

The week will also include a variety of events in addition to the performers.

A7, BINGO! will offer students a chance to play bingo in the Student Union Ballroom on Tuesday at 7 p.m. Prizes will be given to winning students. Later that night, a free Jazz concert will be held at Guzzetta Recital Hall at 8 p.m.

Son Del Caribe will also be back on campus to provide music for free salsa lessons. The lessons will take place at E.J. Thomas Stage Door. The UA Concert Band will also be performing. Both events take will place on Wednesday at 8 p.m.

Students will also be able to show their Zips spirit at the annual Homecoming march on Oct. 6 at E.J Thomas. The march will take a route leading to Coleman Common. Participants are encouraged to wear their blue and gold Zips gear and should meet in front of the fountain no later than 5:15 p.m. to participate.

The end of homecoming week will wrap up with a full day of events on Oct. 7. A ribbon-cutting ceremony will take place in front of the newly renovated Bierce Library at 10:30 a.m. Tours of campus will be available for students and their friends and family, and a UA showcase will take off from the bus stop in front of Guzzetta Hall.

The climax of festivities is the annual Homecoming Dance, held in the Student Union Grand Ballroom. The dance is free and students are invited to bring guests. The dance will begin at 8 p.m. and will end at midnight.

Finally, on Oct. 8, the UA 5K Homecoming run and walk will start at 8 a.m. Anyone can register on The University of Akron website. Later that day at 2 p.m., the UA Homecoming football game will take place. The Zips will be playing Florida International University.

“A great way to wrap up the homecoming is with the home football game against Florida international University. Go Zips!” freshman football player Andrew Hampton said.