NRHH celebrates Homecoming

By: Alexandria Didato

While looking at a picture of friends and family at his college graduation, a large grin forms on UA Alumni Travis Tucker’s face as he reminisces over his Akron experience.

Homecoming week events are an annual celebration put on by the University of Akron to welcome back Akron Alumni as well as provide entertainment for current students.

“Coming back to The University of Akron is like coming back home,” Former Homecoming Queen Samantha Knisley said. “While I am excited to return and pass the crown to the next Homecoming Queen of The University of Akron, I am more thrilled to reunite with my friends and colleagues, some who I have not seen since my freshman year in college. There is nothing better than a family reunion with your closest friends.”

Tucker agrees that returning to Akron feels like a true homecoming.

Photo courtesy of Alexandra Didato

“Going home and heading back to Akron are one in the same for me; it’s the place that I grew up at,” Tucker said. “Opportunities to see my friends are hard now that I’m down at Miami for graduate school, so events like the Emerging Leaders/National Residence Hall Honorary Reunion are perfect excuses to make the drive north.”

One of the events being held for alumni is aimed at those who were involved in the Emerging Leaders Program or those who were inducted into the National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH). The Emerging Leaders Program annually takes in 84 first-year students and teaches them how to become student leaders on campus by having them assist with putting on Welcome Weekend, Family Weekend, Sibs Weekend, and Hall Fest.  NRHH is an organization run by one percent of the residence hall population who have been nominated and elected into the group. The organization plans leadership workshops, service projects, and recognition programs throughout campus.

A reunion for both groups will be held Saturday before the football game as a celebration of the Emerging Leaders Program now being in its 10th year.

To get students eager and excited for the Homecoming weekend, the Spirit Parade, consisting of student organizations all over campus, will be held Thursday at 4:30 p.m. The parade begins at EJ Thomas Hall and will move through campus.

Friday, the Homecoming dance will begin at 8 p.m. and last until 12 a.m. Also at 8 p.m. is Herbie Hancock: Blue, Gold & Soul at EJ Thomas.

Saturday, the NRHH and Emerging Leader’s reunion will be from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. in Spicer Residence Hall’s Courtyard. Immediately following at 2 p.m. the Akron Football Team will be taking on Florida International University at InfoCision Stadium. After the football game, the Akron Men’s Soccer team will go head to head against Western Illinois at Summa Field at 7:30 p.m. Then, the Alumni Showcase for the weekend, University of Akron alumni George Wallace, will be providing his comedic relief at 9 p.m. at EJ Thomas.