Porter achieves 100th career win: Zips defeat Hartwick 2-0 for third straight victory

By: Chris Coon

On Aug. 27, 2006, University of Akron men’s soccer Head Coach Caleb Porter recorded the first win of his coaching career, defeating Davidson 2-0.

One hundred twenty-five games later, the six-year coach has become the winningest active coach in the NCAA and the fastest to eclipse the century mark in program history after the No. 5 Zips defeated Hartwick on Saturday night at home 2-0.

“Every win is sweet,” Porter said. “This just happens to be one that falls in line with 100. Again, I am most pleased with our performance. For me, it’s special to win, but it’s more pleasing and rewarding when my players play to their potential.”

Akron (10-1-2, 3-0 Mid-American Conference) dominated in all aspects of the game, out-shooting Hartwick (5-5-2, 1-1-0) 27-2, while recording a 12-0 shots on goal advantage.

“I am very pleased,” Porter said. “That was the most dominant performance that we have had all season long. That was the type of performance I am looking for: 27 shots to two.”

The Zips captured their ninth shutout of the season as a team while extending their NCAA record home-unbeaten streak to 46 games.

Junior forward Thomas Schmitt recorded his third goal of the season and second game-winner in the 67th minute after receiving a pass from Aodhan Quinn on a give-and-go play.

“We were just pushing and pushing, and Aodhan played me a good ball,” Schmitt said. “I laid it off to him, he slipped me in and I put it in.”

UA added to their lead in the 86th minute when sophomore forward Darren Mattocks received a long pass from Reinaldo Brenes midfield. Mattocks, who was behind the Hawks’ back four, chipped the ball over goalkeeper Mateo Munarriz, who had come off his line for a 2-0 score.

“On the goal, I knew the goalkeeper was going to come off his line,” Mattocks said. “So I chipped the ball over him and put it in.”

On the season, Mattocks has 12 goals in 12 games, with three of those goals coming all at once against Tulsa in a 3-0 win on Sept. 24.

“Darren Mattocks, I wouldn’t trade that kid for anybody in the country,” Porter said. “He is electric and he is a handful. He had four breakaways that the goalkeeper saved, and he kept coming and coming and never once got his head down. He was rewarded because of that.”

Porter said he now holds a record of 100-14-12 overall while posting a 29-1-1 mark against MAC opponents. Porter is 62-2-5 at home.

With the win over Hartwick, Akron has now extended their conference unbeaten record to 34 games. Since 2007, the Zips have won their last 23 regular season conference games, the fifth-longest in the NCAA.

The meeting between Akron and Hartwick is 11th all-time, with the Zips leading the series 8-1-2, winning their last three games against the Hawks.

The Zips will return to the pitch Tuesday against Michigan in Ann Arbor, Mich. and then return to MAC play at Buffalo on Friday. Both games will kick-off at 7:30 p.m.