UA’s PRSSA Chapter Recognized Nationally

By: Molly Howard

“Our chapter has taken huge strides in improving both performance and productivity the past few semesters,” said PRSSA Vice President Katie Jo Kisow. “It is exciting to see that our hard work was recognized nationally.”

The Star Chapter Award is highly sought after by PRSSA chapters across the country. The award can be earned by any chapter that actively seeks the opportunities to meet eight out of the 10 requirements.

Some other challenges that chapters must meet before earning this award are giving attention to ethics during at least one chapter meeting, extending an invitation to students and faculty from other disciplines to attend at least one chapter meeting and confirming that at least 10 percent of graduating seniors applied for a PRSA Associate Membership and remain involved as a professional in the field.

“This is an award we hope to work toward each and every year,” Molly Howard, the PRSSA president said. “Simply by working toward the award, we’re strengthening our chapter and providing more benefits to our members.  This is something that has become very important to us in recent years.”

PRSSA is the world’s foremost pre-professional society for students interested in public relations. The mission of the Akron Chapter of PRSSA is to serve its members by enhancing their knowledge of public relations and providing access to professional development opportunities. It also aims to serve the public relations profession by helping to develop highly qualified and well-prepared professionals.

Member benefits include presentations from local public relations professionals, networking opportunities, student scholarships, local and regional PRSSA events and access to the national Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) online career resource JobCenter.