Bowling for scholarships: Elias Scholarship Tournament returns to UA

By: Molly Gase

Bowling pins will tumble and dollar signs will accumulate during the second annual Elias Scholarship Bowling Tournament.

Being held Nov. 5 at 9 a.m. in the Student Union game room, the tournament is an opportunity for participants to win scholarship money while showing off their bowling skills.

The scholarship tournament was created last year in memory of Eddie Elias and his passion for bowling.  Elias, an alumnus of The University of Akron, lived a “big life” according to a recent article in The University of Akron’s alum magazine.

According to the article, Elias was at least partially responsible for the formation of bowling as a professional sport.  Elias worked in broadcasting and sports management, and earned a law degree.  He became a manager for many athletes in both bowling and golf.  Elias also worked with actors Danny and Marlo Thomas, who founded St. Jude’s.

Elias donated money to The University of Akron when the new Student Union was built, resulting in the bowling alley, located on the first floor, being named after him.

There are spots for 96 bowlers in the tournament.  Unlike last year’s tournament, this year’s tournament will have both a men’s and women’s bracket.  This will allow there to be three winners from each bracket.

Winners will receive scholarships in the amounts of $500, $350 and $200. Spots are still available for students who would like to participate; however, the number of spots is limited.  Participation in the tournament is free, and a free t-shirt and lunch are provided for participants in the event.