Tennis team wins doubleheader over weekend

By: Christian Turner

The University of Akron tennis team opened the season with a victorious doubleheader.

The Zips went into the 2011-2012 season as the defending MAC Champions. They began their home season with a match against Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI). The Zips swept the Jaguars in doubles at all three slots. The team won five of six slots in singles.

The second match of the day was against Wright State University. No. 1-slot junior twins Angelina and Angelika Jogasuria won their doubles match 9-7. Natalia Kuvakina and Zara Harutyunyan were victorious at the No. 2 slot with a score of 8-2. Ksenia Berestetska and partner Olga Shkundina fought hard at No. 3 to win 9-8 (2).

Wright State was no match for the Zips in singles. Shkundina, a 16-year-old freshman playing in the No. 2 slot, impressed fans of both teams. Her precision, placement and agility helped seal a 6-3, 6-1 win over Alex Bastock.

Shkundina is a Russian native who began her collegiate career at age 15. She is one of the youngest players to compete in Division I tennis.

Senior Harutyunyan defeated Wright State’s No. 1 slot Kayla Tuscany 6-2, 6-1.

Harutyunyan is a three-time Mid-American Conference Player of the Year. She entered the 2011-2012 season ranked 118 by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association.

Sophomore Berestetska defeated Amy Nini 6-0, 6-1 at the No. 3 slot.

Prior to her collegiate career, Berestetska was listed among Ukraine’s top junior players. She has competed in International Tennis Federation tournaments throughout Europe.

The Zips defeated the Raiders at the remaining three slots.

Sunday, the Zips traveled to Morgantown to face West Virginia. They excelled again by sweeping the Mountaineers 7-0.

Akron is 5-0 going into their next match Feb. 11 against New Jersey Institute of Technology at LaTuchie Tennis Center.