Softball team to play in Patriot Classic

Zach West

The Lady Zips softball team will try to improve their 2-5 record by participating in the Patriot Classic in Fairfax, Va., this weekend.

The team will open the weekend against Marist where????? on Saturday at 12:15 pm.  The Red Foxes have posted a 2-5 record so far this season, with wins against Norfolk State and North Carolina A&T by scores of 5-3 and 6-3, respectively.  The Red Foxes have dropped games against Western Carolina, Utah State, Youngstown State and a pair of games against Fairleigh Dickson.

The Zips will face off against hosting school George Mason at 4:30 p.m. Saturday.  The Patriots have posted a 1-6 record, beating only George Washington by a score of 5-4 in the Kickin’ Chicken Classic while dropping games to Marshall, Coastal Carolina, Georgia Southern, Howard, the University of Southern California Upstate and Georgetown.  Additional games against George Washington and a game against Youngstown State were both cancelled.

The Zips will face off against Rider University Sunday 9 a.m.  The Broncs have posted a 0-5 start to the season.  They participated unsuccessfully in the Spartan Classic in Greensboro, N. Car., and dropped a pair of games to both Utah and Drexel. They posted another loss to the University of North Carolina Greensboro.

The Zips will play another game against Marist at 11:15 a.m. to wrap up the weekend.

The team will play again on March 9 to open their play in the Rebel Spring Games.  In that tournament, the Zips will face the University of Pennsylvania, Indiana State University, the College of Holy Cross, Yale University, Rider University, Fairfield University, Army and Wagner College.