Zips baseball lose to Jacksonville University during break

Written by: Christian Turner

The University of Akron baseball team started its Spring Break Florida schedule on Tuesday with a loss to Jacksonville University.

Akron started the game off with a single to right field by outfielder Devan Ahart. Infielder Tyler Begun followed up with a double to right field. Third baseman Sam Watkins and first baseman Samuel Trecaso both flied out to left field to end Akron’s portion of the inning.

Jacksonville quickly countered with three hits, putting two runs on the board.

Akron scored their first run of the game with infielder Brandon Winter crossing the plate in the top of the second.

In the third inning, Watkins recovered with a double to left center. Trecaso got an RBI with a single to right field, putting Watkins across the plate.

Senior catcher Dan Burant put two hits on the board for Akron late in the game, but it wouldn’t be enough to hold JU off from the 5-2 victory.

On the mound for the Zips was senior left-handed pitcher Scott Foster, who started the game off by hitting Jacksonville’s first batter with a pitch.

Freshman right-handed pitcher Jason McPeek closed out the game, only allowing one run.

Akron first year Head Coach Rick Rembielak spoke to GoZips.com and credited the loss to “leaving too many guys on base and missing chances with men in scoring position.”

The Zips returned to Sessions Field the following day to face off against the Dolphins a second time. The team again fell short with a score of 5-1.

On Thursday, Akron got off to a rocky start in a win over Fairfield University.

The team stranded two runners on base in the top of the second inning. They would not put their first points on the board until the top of the sixth.

Ahart and Begun got on with a pair of walks, while middle infielder Matt Rembielak grounded to second base on a 1-1 count to start the inning off.  Watkins reached the bag on a fielding error by the first baseman, while Ahart crossed the bag on a throwing error by Fairfield’s pitcher

On a wild pitch by the Stags, Begun crossed the plate, while Watkins reached third.

Watkins got on after a fielding error at first base and advanced to second. Trecaso would get the RBI with a single up the middle.

Sophomore outfielder Kurt Gamby singled to the right side, putting Trecaso in scoring position. Trecaso would cross the plate after Winter walked on a 3-2 count.

Fairfield countered with four runs of their own in the bottom of the seventh.

Akron went on to score four more runs in the eighth and ninth innings, sealing their 8-4 win over the Stags.

Friday, the Zips suffered a tough 4-3 loss to North Dakota State University at the RussMatt Central Florida Invitational in Auburnlake, Fla., at Lake Myrtle Field.

Akron got their first lead of the game in the bottom of the seventh starting with a double from sophomore catcher Brady Stewart. Rembielak followed up with a walk on a 3-2 count.

Ahart would earn the RBI with a single to left center, getting junior outfielder Jared Turocy across the plate. Begun earned two RBIs with a double down the right-field line.

The Bison scored in the top of the eighth and ninth innings to seal their victory over the Zips.

Saturday, the team finished their tour of the Sunshine State in Lakeland, Fla., with a victory over Chicago State University. The Zips came out swinging with 19 hits to seal a 13-4 victory over the Cougars.

Starting on the mound for Akron was senior right-handed pitcher Alex Loftin. He left the mound with four strikeouts and allowing four earned runs.

Right-handed pitcher Dan Becks followed with three innings of concrete pitching. Closing for the Zips was senior right-handed pitcher Danny Fawcett.

Akron is now 5-12. The Zips’ next match up is against the West Virginia Mountaineers Tuesday at Hawley Field in Morgantown, W. Va.