Valerie Fraizer receives honors over weekend

Written by: Parker Perry

An athlete competing for The University of Akron has received Second-Team All-American honors.

Valerie Fraizer of UA’s women’s track team has received the credentials after competing in the National NCAA meet last weekend.

The senior has been a part of the team for five years, starting her career as Valerie Wretz. Like her name, her success has changed with the progression of her career.

Fraizer’s freshman year consisted of injuries that prevented her from competing in any of the indoor events. When she did finally heal, she performed well outside. Fraizer qualified for the NCAA Midwest Regional in the hammer and discus events. However, she did not finish particularly well when she got to Regionals. She finished well behind, closer to 20th than first.

Of course, she was still a freshman and building a foundation that helped launch her to competing for MAC championships her sophomore year.

Fraizer did not let the foundation go to waste, and finished fourth in the Indoor MAC Championship in throws. She put up a total in the event that landed her second on the school all-time list in discus in the MAC Championship.

She moved on further than Regionals that year too, as she received an invite to the NCAA Championship because of her performance. She did just as well during the spring and the outdoor competitions, as she continued her success and made it to the NCAA Championship for hammer. She placed 17th and 19th in the events.

She continued her steady success her junior year and now in her senior year. Her junior year saw her have success in both the discus and hammer throws. She qualified for the national championship in both for the first time.

She continued the success last week, when she competed in both for the second consecutive year.  She has consistently finished in the high-teens while facing the best throwers in the nation.

Now that her team is young, Fraizer will be a great example to strive to emulate. She has represented Akron on the biggest stage for three of her four years, while landing herself with a high GPA that has placed her in the All-MAC Academic Team.

She continues her journey this spring, where she hopes to represent Akron again, one last time.