SIFE wins honors at regional competition

Written by: Monica Higgins

The University of Akron Students in Free Enterprise (SIFE) team was first runner up at this year’s regional competition in Cincinnati, held April 10.

SIFE is an international organization on college campuses around the world that focuses on empowering people in need through business concepts and an entrepreneurial approach.

SIFE groups from across Ohio and surrounding states met to present the projects they have completed during the year, according to Akron SIFE’s director of presentation. Businesses from around the community, including representatives of Wal-Mart, Sam’s Club and Hallmark, served as judges for about 30 different SIFE groups from college campuses competing in the regional competition.

This year, Akron SIFE’s accomplishments included teaching elementary school children business concepts and encouraging them to pursue business ownership as a possible career path, implementing a recycling competition in Spicer Hall that has doubled the average number of weekly pounds recycled and collecting 1,000 pounds of canned goods to help alleviate hunger.

The group already has a set of projects planned for next year that spans a range of local issues.  Projects include forming partnerships with local school districts in order to teach middle school and high school students how to budget, apply for student loans and balance a checkbook.

SIFE is also planning an expansion of the recycling competition into all dorms on campus.

Finally, they will implement a project to help Burmese refugees and other internationals in the Akron area run their businesses successfully and understand the American banking system.

Akron SIFE is always looking for creative and talented UA students to get involved and share their project ideas. The group is open to all majors and offers many great networking and career opportunities, in addition to countless opportunities to help out the community.

SIFE meets Wednesdays at 8 p.m. in the College of Business Administration room 147.