Girl About Campus: Where have all the oddities gone?

Written by: Helen Dauka

I hope that this article makes sense to you, no matter your class standing. I remember a time when it was like an initiation into The University of Akron to see the Rapping Guy of Akron. It was a treat when the Troupe of Jugglers were practicing near Street Treats. And I’m still waiting to see the elusive Unicycle Kid.

Nowadays I’m lucky if I get to see someone’s dog tied up outside of Leigh Hall while its owner sits in class.

If you honestly haven’t seen any of the above-mentioned, I feel sorry for you — unless you have your own oddballs that you keep an eye on from across campus. If so, I’m jealous! You need to fill me in!

But where have all the oddities of UA gone? Perhaps, in my old age, I haven’t noticed that the university has been changing. Without a doubt, it has been changing. Tuition, new buildings, parking, requirements for graduation — it changes by the year. I’m fine with that. I expect it.

Some things never seem to change, though. Each fall, freshmen are exposed to the same weekend of welcome: Jay Black will make jokes, Michael C. Anthony will hypnotize some students and make them do ridiculous dances, and you might win some dorm-related prizes at Casino Night.

Rob’s Café always seems to have stir-fry, a sandwich line, and a comfort food station. My advice here is to avoid the comfort food station; it’s what makes you feel greasy, tired and gross. Get the crab from the stir-fry line. I think it’s only 10 percent crab, but still, just trust me on this one.

It’s easy to get fooled into thinking that nothing changes and things are boring, because they’re the same all the time. You wake up jaded. Things just aren’t what they used to be. BAM! There’s the paradox that can keep you spinning around in circles.

Now the real philosophical question comes: Is the culture and the character of The University of Akron changing, or am I the one changing?

Some day, very soon, I will tell a young freshman, “Back in my day, there used to be a guy who walked around campus with big headphones on. He would rap loudly enough for everyone to hear. Those were the days.”