'Crazy Legs' wows UA students

“Cerebral palsy is no laughing matter. Unless you’re Chris Crazy Legs Fonseca. Fonseca is a Colorado native who has cerebral palsy. Yet, instead of letting this very serious disease hinder his life, Fonseca has used it to fuel a comedy career and spread awareness for the disease.”

Cerebral palsy is no laughing matter.

Unless you’re Chris Crazy Legs Fonseca.

Fonseca is a Colorado native who has cerebral palsy. Yet, instead of letting this very serious disease hinder his life, Fonseca has used it to fuel a comedy career and spread awareness for the disease.

Cerebral palsy is a condition which affects motor movement, communication and other functions, but does not affect a persons mental ability. Fonseca had a mild form of this condition.

Fonseca came to the Student Union on Monday to perform during diversity week.
Fonseca has toured the country doing his comedy act at many colleges, and has received national attention. Fonseca performed in Washington, D.C as part of the anniversary of The Americans with Disabilities Act. He has also been on The Late Show with David Letterman, HBO specials and will be in an upcoming Comedy Central Presents special. Fonseca has also met such celebrities like John Elway, Ted Nugent and Ozzy Osborne.

Fonseca performed in the ballroom of the Student Union with close to 300 students and other community members present. The audience seemed a little uncomfortable because of his appearance and mannerisms, but that quickly faded once he started his set.

Despite his handicap, Fonseca put on an uproarious performance and held no punches. He was quick to crack jokes about himself and other; others being members of the audience. He asked one student what his major was: it was theater; he then made a gay reference and told him not to be offended.

He poked fun at being Mexican and being from Colorado. He also made a number of raunchy jokes; mostly dealing with a bag of Cheetos, a lonely night and the effects of orange hands – think about it.

He told stories about going to Wal-Mart and being mistaken for a worker, as they tend to employ handicapped people, and then putting a bunch of things on sale, mostly Cheetos.

Nothing was off-limits for Fonseca. He poked fun at Catholics, people from Kentucky, people ‘acting ghetto,’ a particular worker at the Atlanta airport, even Akron.

The crowd loved every minute of it.

Many students came to see Fonseca perform to get extra credit for class or to fulfill requirements for job applications.

I came to fulfill a requirement to be an RA, but I wanted to come anyway, said sophomore Monica Young. He was really funny.

Student Joe Bersuder agreed.

It wasn’t really what I expected it to be, said the freshman. Everyone on my floor was going too; I decided to go as well.

It was a very good show – he was really funny.

Bersuda said that he felt a little awkward laughing at Fonseca, because of his disability.

A little at first but I quickly became comfortable with him.

Fonseca gave an amazing performance that left the audience wanting more. He told everyone that he has two CDs out titled, Not tonight, I have Cerebral Palsy and Get in the Van.

Fonseca is a great example of how no matter what hand you’re dealt in life, you can always turn it into a positive. He is an inspiration for everyone, not to mention a really funny guy.