UA files suit for eminent domain

“Moving forward with the acquisition of property to build the University of Akron’s new football stadium, UA has filed lawsuits to take the remaining properties by eminent domain, according to reports. However, local business owner Manny Nemer said said the fight against the move is about more than money.”

Moving forward with the acquisition of property to build the University of Akron’s new football stadium, UA has filed lawsuits to take the remaining properties by eminent domain, according to reports.

However, local business owner Manny Nemer said said the fight against the move is about more than money.

That is my livelihood, he said. I have too much sentimental value in it.

Nemer said the university could not offer him enough money to sell his property. He declined to say how much UA has already offered him.

They’re not offering me what they offered Jack Morrison, Nemer said.

UA’s public relations office was not able to comment on the situation and UA’s vice president and general counsel Ted Mallo did not return multiple phone messages.

According to reports, the university has also filed suit with numerous other business including the Odd Corner owned by Harry Jackson and the Sun Bar and Grille? owned by Joseph Nemer Jr. Half a dozen houses are also being sought after by UA.

According to reports, businesses and residents have agreed to relocate after the university offered them compensation for relocation and loss of business.

UA has been attempting to obtain all the land east of Exchange Street bound by Nash, Spicer and Brown streets since the use of eminent domain was approved in June.

The board allowed the use of eminent domain to acquire property only after attempts to purchase the property through negotiation is unsuccessful.

The acquisition of the property is considered the second phase of the new Landscape for Learning Initiative.