Crime hits close to campus, again

“Several crimes have been reported around campus. Most recently? the University of Akron reported two incidents near campus involving an assault and a burglary. Another another incident not listed in the Zipmail involved a man being beaten and robbed near campus.”

Several crimes have been reported around campus. Most recently? the University of Akron reported two incidents near campus involving an assault and a burglary.

Another another incident not listed in the Zipmail involved a man being beaten and robbed near campus.

UAPD also reported a complaint filed against one of its officers.

Zipmail warns students UA released a Special Edition Zipmail just after 5 p.m. Monday informing students of two instances of a man breaking into a home. The Akron Police Department notified the University of Akron Police Department of both incidents on Monday afternoon, according to the Zipmail.

The first incident involved a woman who said an attacker broke into her home at approximately 5 a.m. and attempted to strangle her before sexually assaulting her in the 500 block of Carroll Street. The woman described her attacker as a black male? 25 to 30 years of age, wearing a black hoodie and blue jeans. He was reportedly 5-feet-8 to 5-feet-10 inches tall.

The second incident reported in the Zipmail took place in the 400 block of Allyn Street. Roommates in the residence said they heard someone break in. The roommates are both women. No one was injured in the incident.

The Zipmail described the burglar as a black male between 25 to 30 years of age? weighing approximately 190 lbs with short black hair.

Man looses jewely, cash in mugging.

Wednesday morning at midnight? a man was beaten and robbed of more than $2,000 in jewelry and cash.

The Akron police report said the victim was walking on Brown Street when four black males approached him and asked for a light. When he stopped? the four men beat him? giving him a black eye, a fat lip and bruises.

The four suspects also robbed the victim of $50 dollars in cash and $2,000 in jewelry. The report said the victim had earrings and a watch.

UAPD officer recieves

complaint

A student filed a complaint with UAPD Wednesday regarding a female officer.

According to the report the officer in question treated the student rudely on Oct. 11. The name of the officer is not being released.

I don’t think its any big deal? really, said Paul Callahan, chief of police for UA.

Callahan said the investigation was being conducted by the officer’s supervisor, Capt. Jim Webber.

He said it is common practice in any job that supervisors review complaints.

Callahan said these matters generally go through the office of general counsel. General counsel Ted Mallo could not be reached for comment.

The student who complained was also unavailable for comment.