Ex-employee arrested

“A former residence life coordinator at the University of Akron was arrested on Oct. 21 for installing a camera in an Orr Hall shower and stealing pictures of students out of their dorm rooms. Shaun Harkness, 28 who worked for UA from July 2003 to July 2006 until he left to take a similar position at Northern Illinois University, was indicted in Summit County Court of the Common Pleas Monday on 10 counts of burglary, two counts of extortion and two counts of voyeurism for his actions between August 2005 and June 2006.”

A former residence life coordinator at the University of Akron was arrested on Oct. 21 for installing a camera in an Orr Hall shower and stealing pictures of students out of their dorm rooms.

Shaun Harkness, 28 who worked for UA from July 2003 to July 2006 until he left to take a similar position at Northern Illinois University, was indicted in Summit County Court of the Common Pleas Monday on 10 counts of burglary, two counts of extortion and two counts of voyeurism for his actions between August 2005 and June 2006.

Harkness allegedly stole photographs out of students’ dorm rooms in six different residence halls, including Sisler McFawn, Spanton, Bulger, Orr and Ritchie halls, as well as the Honor’s Complex. He also allegedly placed a camera in the female shower area in Orr Hall.

According to university police chief Paul Callahan, the investigation was prompted when a student reported she received threatening e-mails regarding a stolen picture of her at the beginning of the 2006 spring semester.

A yearlong investigation ensued.

Callahan said the investigation gained momentum after NIU police sent UAPD files from Harkness’s computer, which had the stolen pictures stored on the hard drive.

Initially, we didn’t know if it was going to be a criminal investigation, Callahan said. It (also) took us a long time to identify all of the victims.

Harkness was arrested in Dekalb, Ill. with one count of intimidation – a felony – and one count of telecommunications harassment.

Harkness also faces felony charges in Akron for burglary (second degree) and for extortion (third degree). The two counts of voyeurism are third-degree misdemeanor charges.

All victims were women and UA students.

Harkness was hired at NIU on July 1, 2006, and was employed through Aug. 10, 2006.