Resurgent offense scores 48 in win

“The University of Akron football team used a late touchdown scoring drive to stave off an Ohio Bobcats’ late-game scoring drive to win 48-37 Wednesday at the Rubber Bowl. Ohio (5-6, 3-4 Mid-American Conference) cut the Zips’ lead down to 34-31 with 8:31 left in the game, but UA (4-6, 3-3 MAC) responded with a nine-play, 74-yard touchdown drive, capped by a 22-yard touchdown pass from sophomore quarterback Chris Jacquemain to tight end Kris Kasparek to bump the lead to 41-31.”

The University of Akron football team used a late touchdown scoring drive to stave off an Ohio Bobcats’ late-game scoring drive to win 48-37 Wednesday at the Rubber Bowl.

Ohio (5-6, 3-4 Mid-American Conference) cut the Zips’ lead down to 34-31 with 8:31 left in the game, but UA (4-6, 3-3 MAC) responded with a nine-play, 74-yard touchdown drive, capped by a 22-yard touchdown pass from sophomore quarterback Chris Jacquemain to tight end Kris Kasparek to bump the lead to 41-31. 

The win snaps UA’s three-game losing streak against Mid-American East Division opponents. The Zips last won on Oct. 8, 39-38 at Western Michigan.

Running backs Bryan Williams and Alex Allen led the Zips with a combined rushing total of 176 yards.

Akron’s offense, which failed to finish drives and score when inside the 20-yard line in recent weeks, converted all three of its red-zone drives against Ohio.

Brookhart said that the team’s ability to capitalize on momentum swings and finish drives were keys to the victory.

We’re growing up a little bit, Brookhart said. (We’re) eliminating big mistakes and taking advantage of opportunities when we have them.

The Zips were sparked by a 95-yard kickoff return by Bryan Williams immediately after Ohio opened the scoring when Ohio place-kicker Michael Braunstein converted a 34-yard field goal, after the Zips fumbled on their first play from scrimmage.

It was huge, Brookhart said of the return. That return switched (the momentum) right back.

Senior Jabari Arthur finished the game with 129 receiving yards and a touchdown and sophomore running back Alex Allen led the Zips with 96 yards rushing and three touchdowns.

We came out and executed, Allen said. We have to take the momentum to Miami.

Allen said the Zips wanted to finish strong for the seniors.

Ohio senior tailback Kalvin McRae rushed for 109 yards, but only scored once- a 54-yard touchdown run with 11:02 remaining in the first quarter.

I thought we had a good scheme and we had to play physical, Brookhart said.

Igor Ivelijic converted two field goals from 48 and 39 yards in the first half.

The Zips will travel to Miami on Wednesday with the game televised on ESPN 2.