UA professors don't make the grade

“Overall, the University of Akron is a great place to get an education. We have state-of-the-art technology, up-to-date textbooks and fine educational programs to help students begin exciting careers. While those things are great, it is unfortunate that they can be overshadowed by one dismal fact: Some of the professors at UA, quite simply, are not good educators.”

Overall, the University of Akron is a great place to get an education. We have state-of-the-art technology, up-to-date textbooks and fine educational programs to help students begin exciting careers.

While those things are great, it is unfortunate that they can be overshadowed by one dismal fact: Some of the professors at UA, quite simply, are not good educators.

That is not to say that UA lacks good professors, it’s just that some of them are less than mediocre. College students should expect to get their money’s worth when they sign up for a class, and sometimes that is not the case. The instructors can be unprofessional, irresponsible and inattentive to the needs of students.

College students expect their professors to be on time to class. Generally they are forgiving, because everyone is tardy for something at some point.

Emergencies cause tardiness and that is understood. What they will never understand, however, is when a professor is habitually late to class in Leigh Hall when they’re coming from their office hours in Zook.

Sometimes the irresponsibility of a professor can be astounding. It seems unheard of that, at this point in the semester, a professor could possibly lose every hard copy of three different reflection paper assignments.

Doing the math, there are approximately 25 people in the class. Assuming everyone turned in every assignment, that makes 75 papers.

What could have possibly happened to make a professor, who may or may not have a doctorate, lose such an absurd number of assignments? That is just reckless and unacceptable.

Losing assignments is not just bad, it’s horrific.

Unfortunately, it gets worse.

Sometimes professors are completely oblivious as to how ineffectively time is spent in their class. Students want to be prepared for the exams they will take. Specifically, they want to be ready for their midterm and final.

It is amazing how much emphasis professors claim to have on teaching the syllabus.

That seems to be a convenient translation for I’m going to ramble on about what I want, and then when you guys are unprepared for your exam it won’t be my fault because I gave you a study guide with an absurd list of demands two days before the test. It’s not my fault. Right.

Interesting how the syllabus is so important when making up an exam, since it is mostly thrown out the window as far as lesson plans are concerned.

It is entirely inappropriate and a total waste of time to have the class watch videos and discuss things that will not appear on the exam.

Looking at the big picture, UA has a lot of fine educators, but some of them just don’t make the grade. Students shouldn’t have to deal with professors who lose assignments and do not stick to the important things in the lesson plan.