Disqualifications leave Zips two clubs short

“The University of Akron golf team traveled to Orlando, Florida to play in the Mid-American Conference/Big East challenge for their last tournament of the fall over the weekend. The Zips had two players disqualified after the first round of play. Freshman Drew Davidson and junior Vaughn Snyder both had scorecard violations, so the Zips were eliminated from the tournament as a team.”

The University of Akron golf team traveled to Orlando, Florida to play in the Mid-American Conference/Big East challenge for their last tournament of the fall over the weekend.

The Zips had two players disqualified after the first round of play. Freshman Drew Davidson and junior Vaughn Snyder both had scorecard violations, so the Zips were eliminated from the tournament as a team.

It is the player’s responsibility to return their scorecard at the end of the round. One assumed that his partner returned his card, and two groups later, one didn’t sign his own card, head coach Nick Goetze said.

To place as a team, you have to score four of five players, and the Zips only had three golfers remaining. Sophomore Jacob Patte and seniors Colin Clemente and Ryan Gutowski completed the tournament as individuals.

It was devastating for us. It turned out different than we anticipated, Goetze said. We were a favorite going in, we would have been in the top two.

Our ranking will slip, but we’ve been doing nicely staying on the good side of the top 100, Goetze said. We’ve been as high as 82 and as low as 107. Heading into the MAC/Big East challenge, the Zips were 94th.

Despite not playing as a team, the Zips placed well individually. Clemente shot a three-round total of 219 on the course which tied him for seventh place out of 53 golfers.

Gutowski also finished strong with a three-round total of 220, good enough for ninth place.

The Zips are already looking ahead to the spring.

It’s tough for us to come out of the winter sharp, but our indoor facilities have allowed us to stay in rhythm, Goetze said. We’ve got a good nucleus of players, so that will carry over into the spring.

The Zips ended the fall by finishing in the top five in six of the 11 tournaments they played in.