Guitar Hero: Legend among party games

“First it was for the nerds. Then, it was for the gamers. A little later, it was for the curious. Now, it’s a staple at every party. That’s right, it’s Guitar Hero. Nobody could have predicted that in a span of two years the Guitar Hero series would gain such rapid popularity.”

First it was for the nerds. Then, it was for the gamers. A little later, it was for the curious. Now, it’s a staple at every party. That’s right, it’s Guitar Hero.

Nobody could have predicted that in a span of two years the Guitar Hero series would gain such rapid popularity. 

The overall concept just sounds stupid. Playing a fake guitar and rockin’ out to covers of a bunch of metal songs? Lame, right?

Well, maybe at first. With the release of Guitar Hero 3 last weekend, it seems that the game is not for just for the lame, the nerds, and the gamers. It just so happens that Guitar Hero 3 is also for the hardcore party people.

It may have been hard to predict this game becoming a huge hit at parties, but after a closer glance it is easy to understand. Beer and rock ‘n’ roll have always gone hand-in-hand. Always. 

Put them together for a party and everyone can have themselves a good ole time condensing the story of an entire band’s Behind the Music and in a matter of five mere hours, everyone will be drunk. 

Somebody will pick up the guitar controller and suck majorly. Despite this, everyone will still think they are good. In the background, the kid drumming will probably lose a limb. Eventually the police will show and the band will split up. Then Saturday, everyone will do it all over again.

The game is even fun for the people who suck and refuse to play it. For those unwilling to join in, it easily becomes a drinking game. Everyone takes a shot each time the performer messes up the notes, or every time the player gets the notes right, depending on just how awful they are. Or for the perverts, who take a shot every time the camera pans over Casey Lynch’s thong.

Perverts aside though, Guitar Hero offers surprising competition for party mainstays like cornhole and beer pong. Thrashing around like a drunk and ripping through riffs like Eddie Van Halen appears to be some of the best fun a person can have. Other than getting laid, of course, which is only reserved for real guitarists.

Overall, Guitar Hero provides a great experience for a party atmosphere. It’s a sure fit for a setting bearing alcohol, sex and crazy people. If the trend keeps growing at such a rapid rate, there will be no doubt that Guitar Hero will solidify its spot as a favored party game among college students.