Jackson's time is now

“You want to say losing to Temple and Buffalo in consecutive weeks will never happen again, but these teams aren’t that bad. The fact is, the MAC will always fluctuate like this. There is not much difference between the recruiting abilities of the best MAC school and the worst.”

You want to say losing to Temple and Buffalo in consecutive weeks will never happen again, but these teams aren’t that bad.

The fact is, the MAC will always fluctuate like this. There is not much difference between the recruiting abilities of the best MAC school and the worst. Contrast that with the Big Ten where Ohio State and Michigan get the best players in the nation, and Minnesota and Indiana scrounge over players with MAC teams.

Because talent is so similar, coaching plays a huge role. I have no big complaints with J.D. Brookhart this year. Well, I have one. Why in the name of Gerry Faust is Chris Jacquemain still the starting quarterback?

He was touted as a game manager who makes good decisions. When the game is on the line, he plays like Ryan Leaf on crack. His inability to convert on good field position is the sole reason Akron lost the past two games.

It’s sad because I would give the other parts of the team passing grades. The offensive line has protected well and allowed running back Bryan Williams to emerge as a great weapon. The defense has kept the team close.

It may seem like I’m hard on Jacquemain. I understand he’s only a sophomore. Given time, he might improve. The real fault is on Brookhart for not putting Carlton Jackson behind center sooner.