Large throws for UA and MAC record

“Stevi Large was named Mid-American Conference East Track and Field Athlete of the week after a career night at the Akron Quad against Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Youngstown State Jan. 11th. Large set a University of Akron and MAC record in the 20-pound weight throw with a distance of 68-3 feet on her second to last throw of the night.”

Stevi Large was named Mid-American Conference East Track and Field Athlete of the week after a career night at the Akron Quad against Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Youngstown State Jan. 11th.

Large set a University of Akron and MAC record in the 20-pound weight throw with a distance of 68-3 feet on her second to last throw of the night. Her previous personal best was a mark of 65-07.00 feet which was both an Akron and MAC record.

It means a lot especially during the beginning of the season where we hope to do better and better as the season progresses, head track and field coach Dennis Mitchell said. She performs on a national level and has confidence going into the rest of the season.

Additionally, Large won the shot put with a distance of 50-05.25 feet. The mark is currently one of the top 11 throws in the nation.

Large, a junior from Somerset, Ohio, was a 2007 All-MAC selection along with teammates Jessica Miller, Colleen Moran and Larisa Arcip. Large was named the MAC’s most outstanding performer last season and was also nominated for the MAC Female Scholar Athlete of the week with a 3.123 GPA in child development studies.

She makes a big impact because she is not only our highest quality athlete, but she is our team captain and last year was our team MVP and UA athlete of the year, Mitchell said. Everyone looks up to her and she is a great athlete and a great example of what an athlete should be.

After participating in the 2007 NCAA Indoor Championships, Large has already provisionally qualified for the 2008 NCAA Indoor Championships and only needs to throw 20.10 meters to automatically qualify.

I don’t want to predict, but we hope she makes it in the top-five in the NCAA Championships, Mitchell said.

The Zips are picked to win the MAC in the women’s 2008 indoor track and field preseason poll. The Zips have won the last three MAC Championships.