Warmth brings campus to life

“There are two things I look forward to every single year – 1) the day American Idol ends and therefore is no longer the top headline of local news shows and 2) when the weather finally breaks. I love warm weather with the same intensity that I hate hearing Sanjaya mentioned along with legitimate news items.”

There are two things I look forward to every single year – 1) the day American Idol ends and therefore is no longer the top headline of local news shows and 2) when the weather finally breaks.

I love warm weather with the same intensity that I hate hearing Sanjaya mentioned along with legitimate news items. (Darn you, Simon Cowell … how do you do it?)

Anyway, along with the warm weather comes a question that all University of Akron students must answer: What the heck should I do with my time?

Here are my suggestions.

Gorge yourself
If you’re feeling cramped by the acres of concrete that comprise Akron, then you need to stop by the Gorge Metro Park in Cuyahoga Falls. It’s a part of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park and well worth a visit. Bring your books along if you need to and study next to a huge waterfall. There’s some open space to lie out in the sun (which I don’t do because I’m a man) or toss a football around (the more macho option).

If you’re into hiking, the Gorge is probably the best place within five miles of campus.

Grill assorted meats
There comes a time when pan-fried chicken and assorted packs of Ramen Noodles just don’t cut it. Luckily for you, it’s finally grilling season. Get some people together and grill up some burgers and hotdogs. Also consider wrapping corn-on-the-cob (why don’t we call canned corn ‘corn-off-the-cob’?) in tin foil and throwing them over the coals as well.

If you want the best taste, you really do need to use charcoal. Just make sure you burn off all the chemicals before slapping your meat down on the rack. I guess consuming lighter fluid causes cancer or something. Whoops!

City fire
(This might be illegal, so don’t quote me on this idea.)

There are fewer things in life better than a good bonfire, especially when you do it in Akron. I did some research, and according to a city ordinance, all contained fires within city limits are illegal unless you are using it for the purpose of warming food.

Perfect! I was going to suggest roasting marshmallows anyway, so feel free to burn away. Just don’t let your fires get out of hand. Only you can prevent forest fires.

That’s why you should only have them in the city.

Aeros game
So you want to watch professional baseball, but you’re too cheap or lazy to drive to Cleveland? The Akron Aeros are the best substitute. The tickets are cheap, the food is cheap, the parking is cheap and the game is somewhat entertaining. You can’t beat that. If you’re lucky, you might even catch a few future major leaguers while you’re there.

If for no other reason, go to Canal Park to be entertained by the team’s charismatic team assistant, Batman. The guy does some pretty wild stuff with a baseball bat between innings. Trust me.

The ultimate sport
Tossing a Frisbee is a science – a science of great precision and skill. It’s also a science of which I have no knowledge. The best way to gain that knowledge is to get out and play. The best part about playing Frisbee is that you don’t have to go very far. On any given day you will likely bump into students tossing one around in the middle of campus. Heck, they might even hit you in the back with the Frisbee as you’re walking by.

Punks.

If you like a good game of Ultimate Frisbee, I know a group of guys who play at the track every Thursday afternoon.

Hit the Towpath
After running the Akron Marathon in the fall, I vowed to never again set foot on the Towpath. And I haven’t. If I did, I might have flashbacks and collapse into a fetal position on the crushed limestone. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t enjoy it, though. The Towpath is a 20-mile course that stretches from Akron to somewhere near Cleveland. If you’re into biking, there is no better place to ride in Summit County.

If you love history (weirdo), then you’ll be excited to stop at landmarks of the historical Ohio & Erie Canal along the way.

Sleep on your porch
This is the ideal time for outdoor sleeping. It’s warm, but there are still no bugs waiting to devour your skin. But with classes wrapping up, who has time for camping? Instead, throw some cushions down on your porch and sleep under the Akron sky.

I did it on Saturday night and I highly recommend it. One suggestion: If you usually sleep in your underwear, consider amending your outfit for one night.

Make out in public?
Wait. This isn’t actually my idea. I just saw a couple locking lips on the lawn outside of Bierce Library. Gross. This does seem to be a popular warm weather activity though, so I figured I would mention it.

Regardless, I don’t endorse this as a good suggestion. Strike this from the record and consider this a top-nine list.

See a show at Blossom
Outdoor concerts are great. As an Akron student, you are within 20 minutes of the best outdoor venue in Northeast Ohio. The shows can be pretty pricey and you risk the chance of bad weather, but a good show is worth the risk. Take my word for it. Two years ago, I saw Journey from a lawn seat. It was probably a top-five lifetime moment.

If you’re still in that awkward punk phase, Fall Out Boy is playing with some other bands that sound just like them in May. I personally suggest the July 1 show when Ben Folds opens for John Mayer. Feel free to leave after the first act.

Quit studying
This isn’t actually a good idea. But it is something that I do every year. It’s amazing that I’m actually graduating in three weeks. When it gets nice out, I lose all motivation to do actual work.

This very column is actually the result of nice weather.

Oh well.

Who’s up for a game of Frisbee?

” #1.1362062:1523533264.jpg:front 2.jpg:Water splashes at the base of a waterfall at the Gorge Metro Park in Cuyahoga Falls. The park is less than five miles from the University of Akron.:”
“#1.1362061:1620339310.jpg:FRONT 1.jpg:Three University of Akron students overlook a waterfall at the Gorge Metro Park in Cuyahoga Falls Monday. The Gorge is one of many parks that make up the Cuyahoga Valley National Park.:”