Should Plusquellic serve another term?

“Asking if Don Plusquellic should be mayor is a loaded question. Sure, there have been some issues during Plusquellic’s tenure. After 20 years on the job, some criticize the mayor for being cocky and abrasive. He has earned quite a reputation for his mouth and his attitude.”

Asking if Don Plusquellic should be mayor is a loaded question.

Sure, there have been some issues during Plusquellic’s tenure.

After 20 years on the job, some criticize the mayor for being cocky and abrasive. He has earned quite a reputation for his mouth and his attitude.

Who can forget the verbal lashing he gave a parking attendant?

Then there’s the issue of sweetheart deals. Joe Finley, Plusquellic’s primary opponent, recently accused the mayor of throwing money at millionaire developers.

Then there’s the tax increase proposal. If it passes, it’ll make Akron one of the highest-taxed cities in the country, Finley said.

AkronWatch.org lays out all these concerns, and more. According to the site, the city’s debt is $1.1 billion. No, that’s not a typo.

If that’s the case, well, then perhaps Plusquellic shouldn’t be the mayor. If winning re-election is akin to running unopposed as president of Associated Student Government, that’s not the best situation the city could hope for.

The mayor’s job is, in fact, a coveted one, though, unlike the ASG presidency.

Perhaps no one has the gumption or motivation to run against him.

However, others assert that Plusquellic is wildly popular and will win regardless of who runs against him. If that’s the case, then the system is working. The people are voting, and they choose Plusquellic.

Instituting term limits would take the power from the citizens, which circumvents the process.

Viva Plusquellic, I suppose.