Staff Soundoff

“The University of Akron is an institution of great tradition. Buchtel College, the Chihuly monument and the John R. Buchtel statue are all tangible representations of our rich history. Now, those icons are making way for a new campus centerpiece – one that will likely overshadow the others.”

The University of Akron is an institution of great tradition.

Buchtel College, the Chihuly monument and the John R. Buchtel statue are all tangible representations of our rich history.

Now, those icons are making way for a new campus centerpiece – one that will likely overshadow the others.

What is this epic structure? you ask.

It is called … Steam Pipe!

What was originally intended as a temporary fix for a broken hot water pipe has become a signature of our beautiful campus. In February, maintenance officials told me the pipe would be removed by Spring Break, at the very latest. Yet, it remains.

The pipe has actually become quite comfortable in its spot on campus. And with that, Steam Pipe has kind of grown on me.

That’s why I’ve been lobbying Buchtelite editor in chief Mike Rasor to remove John R. Buchtel from the newspaper’s top header and replace it with Steam Pipe, but he has opted against it.

He obviously isn’t as confident in the pipe’s staying power as I am.

I’m not the only one who believes in Steam Pipe, though. Take a look at John R. Buchtel the next time you walk through Buchtel Commons. Notice how he stares, sort of scowling at the pipe. Look closer. You can almost see a granite teardrop forming under his left eye.

He knows that with the addition of Steam Pipe, his days as a legitimate campus icon are numbered.

You had a good run, John, but it’s time to make way for a more respectable monument.