Our View

” Last week, the Buchtelite ran a special package regarding University of Akron operations. Athletics is one of the major expenses, drawing $13 million per year. Some contend that is a misguided allocation, as academics should be the administration’s priority.”

Last week, the Buchtelite ran a special package regarding University of Akron operations.

Athletics is one of the major expenses, drawing $13 million per year.

Some contend that is a misguided allocation, as academics should be the administration’s priority.

We understand that point of view, but tend to look at the bigger picture.

Let’s be frank.

UA is no MIT. It also isn’t the University of Florida.

Here, we really don’t have a thing, which is why money gets doled out to competing departments.

Akron isn’t all things to all people, but it does offer a diverse mix to everyone who comes here.

We’ve got the pretty campus with the state-of-the-art buildings. We’ve got prestigious and unique programs with accomplished professors.

But we’ve also got sports.

Sports are an important part of the college experience. It’s not an aspect of the university that can be shortchanged.

But $13 million is a lot of money, some gripe. It is. And yet, it still isn’t enough.

While the situation has improved over the last few years, a lot more must be done.

If the university cannot give more money to the athletics department, then perhaps it can change the way it funds it.

Perhaps some of that $13 million could be shifted from day-to-day operating expenses to pay for renovations of the current facilities.

It might seem insignificant, but when locker rooms and offices appear to be circa-1970s, it matters.

It’s a simple concept.

If the University of Akron brings its athletic facilities up to speed, the athletics department will find it easier to recruit better, bigger-name athletes. Athletic programs consistently improve, becoming regular contenders for championships.

UA suddenly has name recognition outside of Ohio. Students from around the country begin considering UA.

Enrollment goes up and students enjoy a more rounded college experience … everyone wins.

Which is what everyone wants. Not just the athletics department.