Our View

“Halloween was always a great time as a youngster. Being able to stay up late, get free candy and dress up as your favorite athlete or television character. But as you get a little bit older, the Halloween experience gets a lot better. Late no longer means 10:30, free candy is replaced by adult beverages and the costumes get even more outlandish.”

Halloween was always a great time as a youngster. Being able to stay up late, get free candy and dress up as your favorite athlete or television character.

But as you get a little bit older, the Halloween experience gets a lot better.

Late no longer means 10:30, free candy is replaced by adult beverages and the costumes get even more outlandish.

All of which makes for a better time than devouring a baker’s dozen of Reese’s Cups and two pounds of Smarties (although it might have the same result as the adult bevarages.)

But it isn’t just about the parties.

As responsibilities are added throughout our lives, it becomes increasingly important to find ways to let our collective hair down and Halloween is the perfect opportunity.

We can showcase our true personalities and creativity in a way we can’t in everyday life.

When someone you see every day in class shows up at a party dressed as a French maid without proper workplace decorum or a construction worker with the same problem it spices up life more than one of the 17 fireballs you received as a child.

Halloween can also unify a campus community in more ways than any other event. When else is there an excuse to have 20,000 people roam the streets dressed as nurses with more on the mind than healing the sick, or axe murderers.

That’s what makes Halloween great. It brings out the best in people.

It lets us combine the bliss we felt on Halloween night as a child in a new way, with more people, more fun and less walking.