Tie games keep Zips stagnant

“The women’s soccer team was unable to notch a victory in their last home stand of the season as it battled both Western Michigan and Northern Illinois to double overtime ties. In Friday’s game against Western Michigan, Kyra Petrole put the Zips on the board in the 45th minute with a goal from 40 yards out to the left corner of the net.”

The women’s soccer team was unable to notch a victory in their last home stand of the season as it battled both Western Michigan and Northern Illinois to double overtime ties.

In Friday’s game against Western Michigan, Kyra Petrole put the Zips on the board in the 45th minute with a goal from 40 yards out to the left corner of the net. It was her first collegiate goal.

It didn’t take long for Western Michigan to come back and tie the game as Patrice Impelido scored from the top of the box just 23 seconds into the second half.

The weather played a major role in the game, however.

We played in gale force winds, head soccer coach Catherine Byrne said. The two goals scored probably wouldn’t have been scored on a calm day.

The Broncos outshot the Zips 11-8 including a 7-3 margin in shots on goal.

With the tie, the Zips moved to 6-4-5 overall and 1-3-3 in the Mid-American Conference.

I think its obvious right now that we’re struggling to find the back of the net, Byrne said.

We’re holding teams in it. It’s tough to score against a team that’s defending with 10 players. It’s a tough setup no matter who you’re playing.

Sunday, the Zips were unable to get the win on Senior Day as they battled Northern Illinois to a scoreless tie through double overtime.

With the tie, Wilson tallied her seventh shutout of the season and 18th for her career.

The Zips’ offense took seven shots with five on goal. Freshman Jordan Clark, Jordan Baranowski and Leigh Cullen each took a shot on goal for Akron.

The Zips moved to 6-4-6 overall and 1-3-4 in the MAC and Northern Illinois moved to 6-5-4 and 3-3-2 in the conference with the tie.

I think it was a good game. It was extremely physical, Byrne said. We played well, our players showed up to play.

Seniors Leslie Bullen, Haja Dumbuya, Donna Swift, Kathy Tegge and Kyrstin Wilson were honored before the game.

Our seniors are going to be a hard group to replace. They have shaped our players with character, discipline and accountability, Byrne said. They’ve done an awesome job from that perspective. They are the most respected group of seniors we’ve graduated to this point. They’ll be missed.

The Zips will travel to play MAC foes Toledo and Bowling Green this weekend before closing out their regular season with a home game against Ohio on Nov. 1.