Seniors honored in shut out

“The 19th-ranked men’s soccer team beat Mid-American Conference opponent Bowling Green 4-0 Saturday on Senior Day at Lee Jackson Field. With the win, the Zips improved to 10-2-2 overall and 2-0-1 in the MAC. The Zips have also held eight of their last nine opponents scoreless, including their last six straight opponents.”

The 19th-ranked men’s soccer team beat Mid-American Conference opponent Bowling Green 4-0 Saturday on Senior Day at Lee Jackson Field.

With the win, the Zips improved to 10-2-2 overall and 2-0-1 in the MAC. The Zips have also held eight of their last nine opponents scoreless, including their last six straight opponents.

The Zips started their scoring drive when Elliot Bradbrook scored from 30 yards out to the left side of the net in the 29th minute.

Steve Zakuani scored the next two goals for the Zips in the 56th and 82nd minutes.

Corey Sipos scored another goal for the Zips just two minutes later to put the Zips up by four.

I was disappointed with the first half; we came out casual, head coach Caleb Porter said.

In the second half, we came out with more intensity. It was a good reminder that we need to show up to play every game. Results don’t happen automatically, he said.

With the loss, Bowling Green dropped to 3-9-3 overall and 0-2-1 in MAC play.

The Zips’ defense was able to hold the Falcons to zero shots on goal.

Cameron Hepple almost put Bowling Green on the board in the 35th minute, but the ball hit the goalpost and bounced away.

The Zips dominated the stat sheet, outshooting Bowling Green 18-7, including 9-0 shots on goal.

Goalkeeper Evan Bush prolonged his scoreless streak to 880 minutes, dating back to the Zips game against UIC Sept. 13.

Seniors Matt Augustin, Steve Kalan, Devin McKenney, Pablo Moreira, Bradbrook and Sipos were honored prior to the start of the game.

The team will leave behind very accomplished seniors.

Kalan was a first team All-MAC honoree and All-Ohio selection in 2006, and was also an Academic All-MAC honoree in 2005-06.

Moreira was a first team All-MAC selection and McKenney was named second team All-MAC in 2006.

Sipos was named second team All-MAC in 2005.

It was their last regular season home game, Porter said of the seniors.

They’ve been our driving force all year and will continue to lead our team down the stretch.

The Zips will travel to face Big Ten opponent Michigan Wednesday night before hitting the road again to take on Buffalo Friday night.

” #1.1361634:801457091.jpg:SteveKalan_done.jpg:Steve Kalan, a first team All-MAC honoree in 2006, played his final home game Saturday vs. BGSU.:Jeff Harwell / Zips Sports Photography”