Tribe gives Cleveland hope

“Call me Wahoo. I have been glued to the American League Championship series since it began last Thursday. The Indians playoff run has been thrilling since the first pitch of the American League Division Series against the New York Yankees, and as every game comes to a close, Tribe fever continues to consume me.”

Call me Wahoo.

I have been glued to the American League Championship series since it began last Thursday.

The Indians playoff run has been thrilling since the first pitch of the American League Division Series against the New York Yankees, and as every game comes to a close, Tribe fever continues to consume me.

I understand that the players need a day off, but every day without a Tribe game makes me selfishly believe I deserve more.

In reality, I don’t deserve or need anymore baseball than I’ve been given, but every win puts me one step closer to becoming a complete addict.

And what’s not to be obsessed about?

Cleveland has known nothing but heartbreak from every sports team.

The Drive. The Fumble. The Shot. Red-right 88. Jose Mesa. Marquise Grissom catching the final out in 1995.

Forget the curse of the Bambino that was broken in 2004. Forget the Chicago Cubs, who have not won a World Series since 1908.

The media covered the Red Sox curse ad nauseam simply because Babe Ruth was the greatest baseball player of all time. They put Boston on a pedestal and made it seem like no other fans could feel the pain of Red Sox nation.

Let’s remember Boston has been able to enjoy the Celtics and Patriots dynasties as well.

The Cubs have been portrayed as baseball’s loveable loser for years. Though they have the biggest championship slump of all professional sports teams, they have not experienced the roller coaster ride that Cleveland fans have.

Sure, Steve Bartman ruined their chances in Game 6 of the 2006 National League Championship Series, but other than that, how can Cubdom even relate?

Cleveland is the epitome of the loveable loser.
Call it the heartbreak city.

Cleveland is surrounded by cities with multiple championships.

The Pittsburgh Steelers have five Super Bowl wins. The Detroit Tigers won a World Series 1984. The Chicago Bears won a Super Bowl in ’85. The Chicago White Sox won the World Series in ’05.

Don’t forget about the Chicago Bulls.

All the major cities within a stone’s throw of Cleveland have tasted the glory of being a champion.

And while the Indians won a World Series in 1948, the historical mishaps that have plagued Cleveland since then are the only thing that fans can truly remember.

When first basemen Victor Martinez caught the third out in the bottom of the ninth at 11:34 p.m. Tuesday night, the Indians were now up three games to one on the Red Sox.

After the out, commentator Joe Buck reminded fans that,the Cleveland Indians are one game away from returning to the World Series.

And what parity.

The Red Sox overcame their curse just three years ago and now the Indians must go through them to have a chance at ending theirs.

The work is nowhere near over for the Tribe, but this ballclub is not in this position because of dumb luck.

This Indians team is a solid unit that has stepped up its batting, fielding and pitching when it matters most.

For as intimidating as Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz are at the plate, no Indians pitcher has shied away from battling them and at times making them non-factors.

We all know that anything can happen when a Cleveland team is in a position to do something special but someday the luck has to fall our way.

Who says it can’t be now?

” #1.1361657:2350280495.jpg:SPORTS-BBA-ALCS-4-AK.jpg:Kenny Lofton salutes the crowd after hitting his first homerun of the post season, a two-run homer off Daiske Matsuzaka Monday night:MCT”