Fourth-quarter folly

“The Temple Owls scored 21 unanswered points in the fourth quarter to stun the Akron Zips 24-20 at the Rubber Bowl Saturday, spoiling the Zips’ Homecoming game in which wide receiver Jabari Arthur became the University of Akron’s leader in career receptions.”

The Temple Owls scored 21 unanswered points in the fourth quarter to stun the Akron Zips 24-20 at the Rubber Bowl Saturday, spoiling the Zips’ Homecoming game in which wide receiver Jabari Arthur became the University of Akron’s leader in career receptions.

Temple (2-5, 2-2, Mid-American Conference) forced the Zips (3-4, 2-1 MAC) to punt with 1:56 left in the game. The Owls drove 81 yards and scored the winning touchdown on a 19-yard pass from quarterback Adam DiMichele to receiver Dy’Onne Crudup with 22 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter.

DiMichele threw for 242 yards and three touchdowns and led the team in rushing with 62 yards. DiMichele also threw two interceptions which were caught by UA defensive back Reggie Corner.

Redshirt sophomore quarterback Chris Jacquemain threw an interception on a desperation throw on the game’s final play.

In the loss, Arthur again led the Zips in receiving. He caught six passes for 84 yards and a touchdown. Arthur broke the reception previously held by Matt Cherry on his 49-yard touchdown catch in the second quarter. He now has 153 career receptions.

The All-American candidate said he’s humbled to have reached such a prestigious milestone, but the game’s result soured his ability to fully enjoy the achievement.

After the touchdown catch, a couple of teammates came up and talked about it, Arthur said. It’s definitely a bittersweet feeling. I’d much rather have it with a win, so I can share with the team.

Stopping Arthur was one of Temple’s main priorities, and except for surrendering the long touchdown reception, they were able to accomplish their goal.

Temple did a nice job of taking Arthur out of the game in the second half, Brookhart said. They gave us a few things in the running game. They defended really well and just took us out of the passing game.

Zips starting running back Bryan Williams made the most of what was given to the Zips, rushing for a career-high 114 yards.

But the team failed to convert crucial third downs in the fourth quarter and to limit the Owls’ opportunities to mount a comeback.

The win for Temple marked the first time the team has collected back-to-back wins since the 2002 season and the team’s first road win since 2003. Temple had previously lost the last 24 road games.

The Zips have a bye next weekend, so they will have to wait until Oct. 27 when they travel to Buffalo to rebound from their first conference loss.

I think that this is a good time for a bye, Brookhart said. Obviously, it’s not great for the team coming after a loss, because you have to wait two weeks to rebound, but I know that the football team needs it.

Williams said that this game will serve as a reminder to the team of the parity of the MAC.

This was a shellshocker, Williams said. Now, you’ve got to open your eyes and realize that everybody in the MAC can be beaten. You’ve got to bring you’re A-game because all the teams are ready to play every Saturday.

” #1.1361674:408940474.jpg:jabari_aurther_bw.jpg:Jabari Arthur became the Zips’ career reception leader Saturday.:Jeff Harwell / Zips Sports Photography”