Graphic courtesy of Liv Ream; movie flyer from IMDB
In defense of Skinamarink
By Liv Ream, Arts and Entertainment Editor • October 1, 2023
Alternative Spring Break 2023 volunteers in Washington, D.C. Courtesy of Natalie Mowad.
Applications open for Akron’s 2024 Alternative Spring Break
By Taylor Lorence, Correspondent • October 1, 2023
The Northern Cheyenne tribe and community walking the ancient Portage Path from Portage Path CLC to the John Brown Home during a previous years First Peoples Day event. Photo courtesy of Portage Path Collaborative.
UA Holds events in celebration of North American First People’s Day   
By Shananne Lewis, Online Editor • September 28, 2023
White swan on water during daytime photo - Free Uk Image on Unsplash
The Swan's Rapture: a poem
By Emily Price, editor in chief • September 27, 2023
Desperately Seeking an Amazon Fighter, sculpture by Kimberly Chapman
"Easy Prey" art exhibit on display at Myers School of Art
By Taylor Lorence, Reporter, Secretary • September 21, 2023
“On the left, there’s me at work! I received the New Student Orientation “Gold Standard” award alongside 
and at the same time as my friend Gillian.”
Courtesy of Connor VanMaele
Fall 2023 Print Edition: Going the Distance
By Connor VanMaele, Correspondent • September 19, 2023
L to R: Steve Horner, Heather Barhorst, Haley Kuczynski, Shawna Blankenship, Brynley Harris, Jessie Redwine at the Pop-Up Pantry. Image Courtesy of ZipAssist.
ZipAssist Holds Community Resource Fair Tuesday, September 19 from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in the SU 2nd Floor
By Shananne Lewis, Correspondent • September 18, 2023
Film critic Liv Ream and friend pose for photo (Image via Liv Ream)
My Barbie experience
By Liv Ream, Film Critic • September 17, 2023

Zips fall in Michigan

“The University of Akron women’s soccer team traveled to Michigan for a two-game road trip but couldn’t come home with a victory as they tied Eastern Michigan 0-0 Friday night and lost to Central Michigan 3-1 Sunday afternoon. Both games were very good , head coach Catherine Byrne said.”

The University of Akron women’s soccer team traveled to Michigan for a two-game road trip but couldn’t come home with a victory as they tied Eastern Michigan 0-0 Friday night and lost to Central Michigan 3-1 Sunday afternoon.

Both games were very good , head coach Catherine Byrne said. It’s a hard road trip to make.

The Zips ended Friday’s game with a double-overtime scoreless tie with Eastern Michigan at Scicluna Field and moved to 6-3-4 overall and 1-2-2 in the MAC.

Both teams had opportunities to score but couldn’t put the ball away, Byrne said. As a coach, I’m happy with the performance.

With the sixth shutout of the season and 17th of her career, Zips goalkeeper Kyrstin Wilson extended the shutout record that she set last season. Wilson was credited with eight saves

She works very hard and is carrying a lot of injuries, Byrne said. She’s the only one we’ve got since our other keeper broke her finger.

She just keeps bouncing back, Byrne said.

In Sunday’s game against Central Michigan, the Zips were held scoreless in the first half and managed only one second-half goal as they took the loss and dropped to 6-4-4 overall and 1-3-2 in MAC play.

Central Michigan jumped out to an early lead as Amanda Waugh scored in the seventh minute during a scramble in front of UA’s net with Erica Rohren scoring the eventual game winner in the 37th minute.

Christina Vacha scored the only goal for the Zips on an unassisted play in the 64th minute. Vacha blocked a kick from Central Michigan goalkeeper Kristen Hubright and scored on the play. It was Vacha’s first goal on the season.

That goal was indicative of our team intensity and work on the day, Byrne said.

The Zips took 21 shots with 15 on goal.

I felt that we had an opportunity to get back at them, Byrne said. We’re playing well, we’re just not finishing. We have to find the back of the net and finish what we’re creating.

Akron returns home to Lee Jackson Field Friday to face MAC opponents Western Michigan.