Staying organized for fall semester

“The school year is just beginning, and it’s time to start the semester off right. According to graduate students Shaunta Harmon and Bobbi-Lynn Anderson, there are very specific ways to accomplish this. Anderson said that in order to get unpacked and ready for the semester, it is important to get organized as soon as possible.”

The school year is just beginning, and it’s time to start the semester off right. According to graduate students Shaunta Harmon and Bobbi-Lynn Anderson, there are very specific ways to accomplish this. Anderson said that in order to get unpacked and ready for the semester, it is important to get organized as soon as possible.

Get a schedule and stick with it, Anderson said. Do not procrastinate, or you will regret it at the end of the semester.

The two students stress the importance of knowing where the library is, becoming familiar with the campus and its resources and not being afraid to ask questions.

Get to know the RA staff in your building, they will be able to help you, Anderson said. Also, show up to class on time.

According to Harmon, once you go to class you must remember to study, and form study groups with fellow students. In order for this to be effective, she said, you must also have a quiet place to study comfortably.

Both students also agree that another way to have a successful college career is to get involved in campus events.

Join a student organization, Harmon said. It will make you feel like you make a difference, and you’ll gain more lasting friendships.

According to English Language Instructor Lisa Brown, another tip to help maintain organization during the semester is to purchase a daily planner. She advises taking all of your syllabi and looking them over, then writing every due date and assignment into your planner.

She said it is also important that when you have a test to study for that you write it into your planner at least a week beforehand, in order to schedule adequate time to study.

Aside from organization, there are also things that are essential to your academic and social success.

According to junior Willie Franklin, it is helpful to remember your Zip Card.

You can’t go anywhere without it, he said.

Your card is essential to getting you in to certain buildings, programs, athletics events and even lunch at Robs. Students should carry their Zip Cards with them whenever they are on campus.

Franklin also said that students must remember to bring their textbooks and other necessary supplies to campus. Forgetting to have a notebook for English, or goggles for chemistry, is probably not a great way to begin the school year.

Franklin said another important thing to have with you at all times if you’re new on campus is a map or directions.

Don’t get lost on campus, or on your way to the Polsky Building, Franklin said. It’s a nightmare waiting to happen.

As a last essential way to start the semester off right, everyone agreed that it is important to relax and meet new people. Franklin advises to make new friends. However, he said everyone should still remember to have their minds set on graduating on time.

Go in with your mind made up to finish in four years, rather than wondering where the next frat party will be held, Franklin said.

Nevertheless, according to Anderson, everyone must still remember to have fun. These are some of the best years of your lives, she said. Good luck!