MS. DoRIGHT

“Ms. DoRight, I’m new on campus, and I’m wondering if it’s OK to wear pajamas to class. Can you help me? Signed, Fuzzy Slippers Fuzzy Slippers, No, it is absolutely not OK to wear pajamas to class. However, people will do it anyway. You will probably do it, even though pajamas in public can be easily avoided in most cases.”

Ms. DoRight,
I’m new on campus, and I’m wondering if it’s OK to wear pajamas to class. Can you help me?
Signed,
Fuzzy Slippers

Fuzzy Slippers,
No, it is absolutely not OK to wear pajamas to class. However, people will do it anyway.
You will probably do it, even though pajamas in public can be easily avoided in most cases. For instance, if all your clothes are gone because your living quarters caught fire during the night and you don’t have any nice friends who will lend you some clothes for a day, then it’s OK. But even then, if your situation is that dire, your professors might understand if you don’t show up for class.
If you have an early morning class, you could wear pajamas occasionally, but only as a sign of protest. In the end, this won’t change a thing and you will look like a fool, but it’s good to take up social causes as often as possible. I don’t exactly agree with this situation, but at least I understand the logic behind it.
If you are one of those unfortunate souls who have signed up for a Saturday morning class, wear whatever you want. Saturday classes are interesting in that there are no rules, and even if there were, no one is ever awake enough during a Saturday class to notice your clothes.
If conditions ever prohibit you from going to sleep for a night, it is permissible, but not advisable, to wear those same clothes to class. However, if this happens to you, and it very well might at some point during your college career, you need to accept that some of your classmates might wonder why you’re wearing the same clothes as the day before. If you tell everyone you’re trying to turn into a cartoon character, they will definitely be impressed. Mark my words.
Wearing pajamas to class might be comfortable, but it also makes you look like a clown. If you sleep in whatever clothes you were wearing the night before, this could work in your favor. If you had a late night, and you wake up with no time to change, and you don’t smell too awful, it’s OK to wear those clothes to class.
However, common sense dictates this should not become a pattern. You will have to give everyone the cartoon character excuse again, and this becomes less believable every time you use it.
If you insist that wearing pajamas to class is too comfortable to give up, then you need to learn to explore your options. Personally, I am against loungewear (this is only because I look frumpy in sweats), but it is a viable option. Sweats, shorts with funny things written across the bottoms and wind pants are nothing more than fancy pajamas, but you might as well wear these things if it will get you out of pajamas.
People who wear their pajamas to class are not trying to start a trend. They are trying to start a disaster.