ESPN takes UA to regional stage

“The Mid-American Conference and ESPN have teamed up in a deal that will bring MAC football to regionally broadcast television stations. The Zips will play in seven games this season with coverage from ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and the Big Ten Network. ESPN’s regional coverage will reach 34 television markets, mainly in the Midwest, and reach 22 percent of households in the United States.”

The Mid-American Conference and ESPN have teamed up in a deal that will bring MAC football to regionally broadcast television stations.

The Zips will play in seven games this season with coverage from ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and the Big Ten Network.

ESPN’s regional coverage will reach 34 television markets, mainly in the Midwest, and reach 22 percent of households in the United States.

University of Akron athletics director Mack Rhoades believes the regional coverage will help the football team and university tremendously.

Over-the-air stations are key, Rhoades said. The coverage will provide great exposure for this university.

Zips football will reach more than 21 million households nationwide due to this expansion and will give UA more exposure to potential athletes, students and fans.

That exposure has increased over the last three years, especially after the Zips trip to the Motor City Bowl in 2005.

The Zips have boasted the top recruiting class in the MAC for the past three years and a larger audience will do nothing but help them in recruiting next year.

People know more about us now, Rhoades said.

To accommodate the larger market broadcasts, Akron will need to make some changes to the Rubber Bowl.

When ESPN comes to town for the Ohio and Miami University games, light poles around the field will need to be removed.

By removing the light poles, the university will need to install more auxiliary lighting as well as improve electrical work throughout the stadium.

Accommodating ESPN for a national broadcast is very challenging, but much more beneficial, Rhoades said.

Zips fans won’t find the inaugural Patriot Bowl that hosts an Ohio MAC school versus one of the Service Academies (Air Force, Army or Navy) on regional coverage in this area.

Akron’s season opener at Cleveland Browns Stadium will be broadcast in the New York region instead, due to ESPN’s contract with Army.

This will be the first year for the TV expansion for Akron and the MAC. Regional coverage begins Saturday Sept. 8 when Akron travels to Columbus to face Ohio State.