DJ Mylor changes the game

Mylor Acquaah speaks live on air on WZIP in 2015. (Buchtelite file Photo)

By Samantha Hickey, News Editor

Another UA student who embodies the “I-won’t-take-no-for-an-answer, roll-up-my-sleeves-and-make-it-happen approach,” received the inaugural University of Akron Game-Changer award this past week.

Mylor Acquaah, a junior studying communication focusing in TV and radio with a minor in political science, is the second UA student to be selected for the award. Kathleen Endres, a professor in the School of Communication, nominated Acquaah for the award.

Mylor was a student last year in both my news writing and history of journalism class,” Endres said. “He was an excellent student and a fine writer, always asking questions and going beyond the assigned work.”

Endres noted that she nominated Acquaah for three reasons: his involvement at WZIP and the initiative he takes, his willingness to help with her upcoming documentary, and the perspective he brings to his classes by not being from this country.

“I had no clue I was even nominated,” Acquaah. “I am a very emotional person so I shed a few tears of joy. I was very happy. College is hard work, especially when you have two jobs to work and personal relationships to maintain. I am very thankful that the work I am doing on campus was recognized.”

Acquaah has become better-known around campus as “DJ Mylor,” the director of DJs at UA’s radio station, WZIP. Listeners can tune in on Saturdays and Sundays to catch Acquaah on air from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.

“I also knew I wanted to do something in radio and I had no idea WZIP was on campus and a huge force in the community,” Acquaah said. “A friend of mine in my freshman statistics class two years ago, who happened to be a DJ, told me to join because she said my personality would fit at WZIP. I took my chance and joined and I have not regretted my decision once.”

WZIP General Manager Chris Keppler said, “I’m not even slightly surprised Mylor was selected as a game changer because his leadership skills, intelligence and personality combine to create an intersection that is hard to ignore. He has the ability to maintain a professional and businesslike approach that’s still friendly. He makes you want to work with him even if he isn’t asking for help. On top of everything else, Mylor is a really nice guy.”

Acquaah said, “It is so cliché, but all of the hard work you do in the ‘dark’ will be seen in the ‘light’ one day and this award is indicative of that. Keep your head down and you will succeed. There is nothing else to it.”

All eight Game-Changers will be recognized at select UA football and basketball games throughout their seasons. Recipients will receive a $1,000 prize at the basketball game versus Kent State University on March 4, 2016.