Student works hard for laughs

“Need a laugh after finals? Jake Creamer is your man. The 22-year-old University of Akron student is spreading laughter throughout Ohio, in hopes of establishing himself as a professional stand-up comedian. Creamer, a senior studying secondary education, has been performing at various venues across the state.”

Need a laugh after finals? Jake Creamer is your man.

The 22-year-old University of Akron student is spreading laughter throughout Ohio, in hopes of establishing himself as a professional stand-up comedian.

Creamer, a senior studying secondary education, has been performing at various venues across the state.

I got my start in comedy at birth, Creamer said. Most people are born crying, I came out laughing.

Joking aside, Creamer really just likes to make people smile.

I decided to get into comedy because there is no better feeling than making people laugh, Creamer said. I try not to look at the audience as a ‘crowd.’ They’re people. They have problems just like you and me. It’s a good feeling knowing that I’m able to make them forget about life for a bit and laugh.

The road to becoming a comedian was a nervous and memorable experience for Creamer. He recalls the first time he took the stage at Max McQ’s Pub in Akron.

I had so much adrenaline running through me, and I was having so much fun, he said. I really can’t remember what words were coming out of my mouth, but it ended up being a great five minutes of comedy. From that point on, I knew that this was something I would never stop doing.

Older comedians such as George Carlin, Richard Pryor and Bill Cosby helped to influence Creamer’s decision to get into comedy. He also credits younger comedians like Daniel Tosh and Dane Cook for giving him an extra nudge.

However, Creamer feels that his friends are his biggest influence.

It’s a great feeling when you say something funny and one of your friends laughs, Creamer said. When I perform, it’s like multiplying that feeling by a crowd of 100 people. It’s a feeling I can’t even describe.

Creamer has performed at venues all over Ohio, including BarCode in Kent and Rockstar and Hilarities in Cleveland.

He has also founded a monthly comedy show in Toronto, Ohio called Old Skool Comedy.

Someday, I hope to make a living doing comedy, he said. Entertaining people is something that I love. It’s the one thing that I could see myself doing in life and enjoying every minute of it. Until that time comes, I’m just enjoying the ride.

To check out some of Creamer’s performances and upcoming gigs, go to www.myspace.com/jakecreamer or www.jakecreamer.com.