Rec offers discounted rub downs

“Are end of the semester assignments stressing you out? The Rec Center might be able to help you work out the kinks. Massage therapy has recently returned to the Rec Center. When the Rec lost its massage therapist in late February due to a scheduling conflict, they where forced to cancel several pre-scheduled appointments.”

Are end of the semester assignments stressing you out?

The Rec Center might be able to help you work out the kinks.

Massage therapy has recently returned to the Rec Center.

When the Rec lost its massage therapist in late February due to a scheduling conflict, they where forced to cancel several pre-scheduled appointments.

Now, with the recent hire of two new massage therapists, Chelsea Owens and Kevin Johnson, the Rec Center is again offering massage therapy at discounted rates for students.

General relaxation massages are offered in 30, 60 and 90 minute sessions. During a 30 minute session the patron chooses the areas of the body they would like the practitioner to focus on: neck, shoulders and back, or legs, hands and feet. The 60 and 90 minutes sessions allow for coverage of the entire body.

Typically, a one hour massage session could cost between $60 to $80 at a spa or salon, but students with a valid Zip Card pay only $28 an hour at the Rec Center. The cost for a 90 minute session is $55, and a 30 minutes session is just $15 for students.

The sessions, which previously took place in the family changing area, which bore a strong resemblance to a bathroom, are now held in room 107b located in the rear of the wellness suite. The new location, though just a couple of feet from the previous one, provides for a much more comfortable setting.

It makes more sense that the massages take place in the wellness suite since it is one of our services, said Melissa Smith, assistant director of fitness and wellness. And the new room is a lot nicer.

According to a pamphlet on massage and wellness services provide by the Rec Center, massage therapy has definite mental and physical benefits. Some of the benefits of massage as listed in the pamphlet are:

?A relaxed state of alertness and increased ability for clear thinking.

?Reduction of stress

?Improved circulation

?Improved joint flexibility and

?Reduction of physical fatigue.

If you have a big test, getting a massage can help you prepare by reducing stress, said massage therapist Kevin Johnson.

Students interested in taking advantage of discounted massage services need only stop by the Rec Center or call (330) 972-6599 to make an appointment in advance.

There have been 208 massage appointments scheduled in the past year.