Did somebody say Chipotle?

“No microwaves, preservatives, or can openers – just fresh, gourmet ingredients assembled to order. That’s exactly what hungry students can find at the new Chipotle opening on W. Market Street in Highland Square. The restaurant’s grand opening is Friday morning at 11 a.”

No microwaves, preservatives, or can openers – just fresh, gourmet ingredients assembled to order.

That’s exactly what hungry students can find at the new Chipotle opening on W. Market Street in Highland Square. The restaurant’s grand opening is Friday morning at 11 a.m., following two premature openings for fundraising events Wednesday and today.

Chipotle has become one of America’s most successful businesses among college-aged consumers. Akron students have been clamoring for the establishment to move closer to campus for years.

I was just driving around looking for one (Chipotle), junior Rebecca Austin said. I’m excited to have some place different.

However, in recent years, the Highland Square Neighborhood Association has worked to keep chain businesses from taking root in the historic district. There have been mixed reactions regarding Chipotle – a franchise – among members of the group.

One Highland Square resident commented on a community forum site, I love Chipotle just like anyone else. However, this is Highland Square, and I just don’t think the people that frequent Chipotle will fit into the atmosphere of Highland Square.

Not all comments on the forum expressed opposition, though. Another resident said, I’m a Highland Square resident and I like the theater, don’t consider myself a snob and am thrilled that Chipotle is coming. I think it is a perfect fit in the Highland Square mix, appealing to families and singles, and providing an option from Two Amigos.

A Chipotle in Highland Square may not be good for everyone, though. It could cause some grief for local businesses. Mexican restaurant Two Amigos is a long-standing establishment in the square and might take a financial hit in the coming months.

Chipotle executives aren’t concerned about backlash from Two Amigos.

I think there is room for everybody, said Crickett Karson, Chipotle’s public relation’s representative.

We are offering a very specific product, Karson said. We are the largest user of naturally-raised meats in the United States. It’s very important to us.

It was never the founder’s idea to go after mom and pop restaurants.

Phone call attempts to reach Two Amigos owners’ and management for comment were not returned.

Regardless, UA students have long asked for a Chipotle on or near campus and the new restaurant will be the first one in the Akron municipality. However, it is not within walking distance from the university.

Karson tried to explain the location decision.

They have a formula which is used to establish locations, she said. Maybe there wasn’t some place closer. I’m only speculating.

Karson expects Akron students will make up a large number of the store’s patron base.

St. Vincent-St. Mary’s High School, along with Chipotle, put on a fundraiser Wednesday for the school’s athletic department. Firestone High school’s PTSA scholarship fund will do the same Thursday. The events will cost $5 for a burrito, taco, salad or bowl, plus a drink. All profits will go to the schools.