Letters to the editor

“Vindication for Baca I shook my head in disbelief when I first learned the University of Akron rejected using Jimmy Santiago Baca’s book A Place to Stand because of a totally unrelated controversy involving a few felons living in its dormitories. Ideally, universities serve as a sanctuary for a wide range of opinions.”

Vindication for Baca

I shook my head in disbelief when I first learned the University of Akron rejected using Jimmy Santiago Baca’s book A Place to Stand because of a totally unrelated controversy involving a few felons living in its dormitories.

Ideally, universities serve as a sanctuary for a wide range of opinions. It’s a shame this concept is abandoned by those who should know better.

What’s worse is Baca’s book and appearance on campus should not even be controversial. If anything, the University of Akron should actively and enthusiastically promote Baca and his work because it shows how education has the potential to empower those long ago written off as lost causes.

Congratulations to the staff of the Buchtelite for getting it right and acting as an example for their own university and others.

Gary Daniels
ACLU Litigation Coordinator

Pascher’s class worth it

Thank you for your interesting article regarding Professor Pascher. I was that female student that left the class.

It’s not that I was offended, my skin is much to thick to be so easily perturbed. I actually had to leave for a very dull reason regarding real estate. As a great student of history, I was not shocked by Pascher’s soapbox material during class, if nothing else, it makes students actually think beyond the surface of the news.

I love that he uses his free speech, after all that is what our men and women are fighting for. I might not agree with the majority of the things the man utters, but that does not mean I won’t listen.

What truly made me laugh is that I did not slam the door … maybe I’m just stronger than I think.

Bridget McGlone
Junior
International Business

Safety Forum a success

I attended the ASG Safety Forum on Thursday and was pleasantly surprised. Students came with questions and concerns for the administration.

The open forum produced many answers as well as posed possible questions. A number of students showed concerns about lighting on campus; the administration responded by informing them that there would be many changes in the future that would provide more adequate lighting.

Another concern was voiced about the safety on the south side of campus. It has been well documented that there had been a number of incidents on the south side during the fall. Campus security said they had stepped up patrol and believe this issue has been resolved.

I found the forum to be interesting and informative. I think we as a study body do not realize all of the options we have open to us in order to remain safe.

Also if something is not to our liking we can call the head of campus security and things can be resolved.

The safety forum was a success, and I feel more educated about campus safety for having gone.

Sean Parker
Freshman
Construction Engineering Technologies