UA considers tuition freeze

“This is the time of year when University of Akron students chew fingernails and tap feet in anticipation of the bad news: how much tuition will go up next year. 2007 will be different. The University of Akron is prepared to agree to Gov. Ted Strickland’s plan that would require UA to freeze tuition next year in return for a 5 percent increase in state funding.”

This is the time of year when University of Akron students chew fingernails and tap feet in anticipation of the bad news: how much tuition will go up next year.

2007 will be different.

The University of Akron is prepared to agree to Gov. Ted Strickland’s plan that would require UA to freeze tuition next year in return for a 5 percent increase in state funding.

That’s about the first time I’ve heard of that – tuition is not going up said David Hughes, a junior political science major. That will make it a lot easier on me.

In year two of the plan, UA is allowed to raise tuition 3 percent and the state will chip in an additional 2 percent.

We want to be part of (Strickland’s) plans, said F. John Case, UA’s vice president for finance. Limiting our budget is not quite what we want, but I think he did a good job.

Strickland also added a provision that universities must cut 1 percent from their budgets in each of the two years of the plan.

The first-term governor campaigned heavily that he would fix the rising cost of higher education. He won a resounding victory against his Republican opponent J. Kenneth Blackwell in the election.

Strickland unveiled the plan at his State of the State speech earlier this year.

This is not a final solution, but a step in the right direction, Strickland said at the speech.

The board of trustees could confirm UA’s compliance with Strickland’s plan at their next monthly meeting.

A tuition freeze is nice, but tuition should go down, said Ashley Fire, a senior psychology major.

” #1.1362168:1833550569.jpg:US-NEWS-ELECTION-OH-58-AK.jpg:Gov. Ted Strickland celebrates winning the 2006 election in January. With the win, he hopes to fix higher education.:”