Sattler has record-setting tournament

“The University of Akron Men’s golf team continued its run of solid play on Tuesday, finishing in second place at the Comfort Inn Belmont Classic in Tennessee. The Zips carded a final team score of 835, tying their lowest mark of the season for a 54-hole tournament.”

The University of Akron Men’s golf team continued its run of solid play on Tuesday, finishing in second place at the Comfort Inn Belmont Classic in Tennessee.

The Zips carded a final team score of 835, tying their lowest mark of the season for a 54-hole tournament. Austin Peay took first place with a final tally of 824.

Blake Sattler led the entire field with a final score of 200, 13-under-par. His day one results broke three school records: lowest round (63), most strokes under-par for a round (8) and lowest total for 36 holes (133).

Coach Tom Porten cited Sattler’s short game as the key to his historic tournament.

I was really happy to put the ball as well as he hits it, he said. He’s a terrific kid, and his play has translated into great things for the Zips. It’s nice to see him do so well in his final season with the team.

Colin Clemente finished in fourth place with a nine-under 204, and Matt Considine cracked the top 15 with three-under 210.

Porten believes that Considine, who spent last season studying abroad, is a reflection of the team’s overall depth.

This was Matt’s first tournament in almost two years, he said. For him to step right in and shoot a couple rounds under par speaks volumes for his game as well as the team. They have a resiliency that coaches love and they work hard on the right things.

The Zips return to action this Friday at the Marshall Invitational Tournament in West Virginia.