Business owners hope stadium will boom sales

“It’s not just current students who are excited about an on-campus football stadium. Some local business owners plan to expand once the university announces concrete plans for construction. Local bar Pints, owned by two former University of Akron graduates, sits on Exchange Street, just across from where the new UA football stadium is planned to go.”

It’s not just current students who are excited about an on-campus football stadium.

Some local business owners plan to expand once the university announces concrete plans for construction.

Local bar Pints, owned by two former University of Akron graduates, sits on Exchange Street, just across from where the new UA football stadium is planned to go.

I’m excited about an on campus stadium, said part owner A.J. Kinney. Football probably brings in more revenue for the university than any other sport.

When the Akron Aeros opened Canal Park on Main Street, it led to a boom among establishments downtown.

Kinney said UA has never asked him to sell his property, but he is not necessarily opposed to it.

I suppose we would cross that bridge when we came to it, Kinney said. Whatever is best for the university at this point.

However, owner of neighboring business Europe Gyro, George Istocki said he would rather not sell.

Our plans were to stay, I need the job, Istocki said.

Kinney said with a commuter school, most students have cars and drive themselves to the games where they have to pay for parking.

We definitely look forward to them breaking ground and putting something in that the students can actually use, Kinney said. It’s an exciting time for us, especially to become more a part of the campus.

Kinney said a lot of alumni come to the bar and like to walk to the sporting events on campus. In the past, they have allied with bus companies to transport customers to the Rubber Bowl, but an on-campus football stadium would be great for business.

Due to the new stadium, and hopeful boom in business, Pints ownership is hopeful to remodel and expand, Kinney said.

Right now everything is on the table until there is a definite plan from the university, he said. We would eventually like to have a little more space than what we currently have.

Istocki said he is ready to remodel his gyro shop and expand now.

As soon as they give us the OK. It could be a year or so, or less, he said. We plan to rebuild whenever the city gives us the OK.

Unlike business owners who fear a university-forced purchase, Kinney said he always tries to support the university

I think we’re unique because we’ve always tried to work with the university instead of worrying about what they are going to do to us.