Kings more mature on 'Times'

“The maturation of a band is an interesting spectacle. Some bands try to grow but go too far in an effort to change. They’ll try to change musical style, but no longer have any of the traits that made people like them in the first place. Southern rockers the Kings of Leon have slightly changed their sound correctly on Because of the Times, in stores now.”

The maturation of a band is an interesting spectacle.

Some bands try to grow but go too far in an effort to change. They’ll try to change musical style, but no longer have any of the traits that made people like them in the first place.

Southern rockers the Kings of Leon have slightly changed their sound correctly on Because of the Times, in stores now.

The band that features four Followills – three brothers and a cousin – still play rock music with a twang, but now they’re more mature.

They’ve also retired their trademark mountainous beards, whatever that’s worth.

In short, the result is the group’s best album.

Because of the Times’ greatest asset is singer Caleb Followill. On the previous two albums, his lyrics were more amateur. His growth is shown on opener Knocked Up, a seven-minute, slow-burning narrative that lays a blueprint for the album. Even his singing style, which would often devolve into temper-tantrum yelping, has matured.

That maturity is likely a byproduct of confidence. Since the release of Aha Shake Heartbreak in 2005, the Kings have seen their popularity increase, especially after fellow musicians like Bob Dylan, Pearl Jam and U2, who each took the band on tour.

By the often-epic sound of Because of the Times, it appears U2 has influenced these preacher’s sons the most. The band has stripped away some of its low-fi garage rock tendencies, replacing it with intricate jamming.

The second track On Call starts with an innocuous ramble before breaking down into a Pixies-esque rumination held together only by a heavy bass line in the background. A similar bass track is laid down on the third cut, McFearless. With a darting chorus of So I know I must show / Yes my show / I must go, the song sounds readymade for an ESPN SportsCenter highlight.

Most of Because of the Times, named after a preachers’ conference the Followills attended with their Pentecostal minister father, centers on resolution and women.

It’s a common theme among Kings tunes, but until now, it hasn’t been executed as well.

Now, Caleb Followill’s tender yap is believable, with his band members acting as a support system with complementary and supportive instrumentation.

When the vocals gather intensity, so do the instruments. On the previous albums, it seemed the two factions weren’t always in sync.

Because of the Times, proves that these boys are in it together for the long haul, and it shows.