Sexual offender registry quick facts

“How many sex offenders live around campus? There are 51 sexual offenders living within a one-mile radius of the University of Akron (see chart). More than half of the offenders are guilty of misdemeanor crimes. However, several have been convicted of more serious crimes.”

How many sex offenders live around campus?
There are 51 sexual offenders living within a one-mile radius of the University of Akron (see chart). More than half of the offenders are guilty of misdemeanor crimes. However, several have been convicted of more serious crimes. Most of the offenders live on the Northeast side of campus. Eight live on Carroll Street alone, six of whom reside at the Veterans Services Outreach Referral Program at 617 Carroll St. The home provides shelter for homeless veterans.

Why do sexual offenders have to register?
The first law requiring sexual offenders to register in their city of residence was in 1994 in New Jersey after Megan Kanka was raped and murdered by her neighbor, a convicted sex offender. President Clinton signed it into law as Megan’s Law in 1996. Convicted sex offenders must notify law enforcement of any change of address after being released from prison. The information is then made available to the public through Web sites like sexoffenders.com.

How is public notification supposed to help?
It’s goal is to deter criminals from committing new crimes and also to allow the community to assist law enforcement. The law gives parents information that might help protect their children.

What regulations does Ohio have?
Sexual offenders must register every year for 10 years. Sexual predators, those who have committed sexually violent acts, must contact law enforcement every 90 days. They must register within five days of entering a county or changing address. School superintendents, college presidents and childcare centers are provided with a written notice. Those who reside within 1,000 feet of the offender are also given notice by the sheriff.

– Courtney Cahoon