Players of the week (10-20-16)

By Jacob Allen, Sports Editor

Stuart Holthusen

Junior

Forward

Men’s Soccer

After missing most of the season with an injury, Holthusen finally recorded his first points of the season this week. First, on Saturday, Holthusen assisted on Sam Gainford’s second goal of the game. Then, in Tuesday’s 2-2 tie versus Penn State, Holthusen scored both of the Zips’ goals, including the game-tying goal with just under ten minutes left to play. The forward led the team with five shots on Tuesday, two of which were on goal.

Samara Yurchak

Freshman

Goalkeeper

Women’s Soccer

Yurchak entered in Friday’s game versus Northern Illinois for the second overtime and made two saves in perfect relief. She then got the call to start on Sunday against Western Michigan and played perfect again, this time stopping all nine shots that she faced. Yurchak’s nine saves were the most any Zip goalkeeper has made this season.

Elya Karsner

Freshman

Left Side

Volleyball

The Zips lost a pair of matches over the weekend to conference teams, but that didn’t stop Karsner from leading the Zips in kills in each match. The freshman had nine on Friday against Western Michigan and 20 on Sunday versus Northern Illinois. Karsner has played in just 14 of the team’s 20 matches, but ranks sixth on the team with 75 kills.

Alvin Davis

Freshman

Cornerback

Football

The true freshman from Fort Lauderdale, Florida, played his best game as a Zip on Saturday, Oct. 15, as he continues to see more playing time. After recording eight tackles against Miami on Oct. 8, Davis finished with 11 tackles against Western Michigan’s high-flying offense. The 5-foot-9 defensive back ranks fourth on the team with 37 total tackles on the season.