Players of the Week (11-10-16)

By Jake Allen, Sports Editor

Jerome Lane

Junior

Wide Receiver

Football

The Zips big (6-foot-3, 220 pounds) receiver continued his excellent season, posting another huge game against Toledo last Wednesday. Lane caught just six passes, but he turned them into 177 yards, including a 91-yard touchdown catch on the Zips first offensive play of the game. Lane’s 866 receiving yards this season rank him fourth in the Mid-American Conference and 19th overall in the nation.

Stuart Holthusen

Junior

Forward

Men’s Soccer

The Zips picked up a couple of big wins to end their regular season, and Holthusen was the best player on the pitch in both games. The New Zealander scored twice last Wednesday against Grand Canyon, including the game-winner in the 104th minute. Holthusen didn’t wait long to score again, doing so 17 minutes into the Zips next game, a 3-0 win over Western Michigan on Saturday. He then scored his second of the game in the 62nd minute to add a big insurance goal for Akron in a game that clinched the MAC regular season Championship. Holthusen’s four goal week puts him at six on the season, which leads the team despite having missed over half the season due to injury.

Hannah Plybon

Senior

Guard

Women’s Basketball

The University of Akron women’s basketball season has yet to officially begin, but the team did play its first and only exhibition game on Saturday versus Walsh. The team defeated Walsh 81-70, thanks in large part to the play of Plybon. The team’s returning lead scorer put up 18 points on 7-18 shooting, including three 3-pointers on nine attempts. Plybon also grabbed seven rebounds, dished out six assists, and recorded two blocks and one steal defensively. It was an excellent all-around game for a player the Zips will rely heavily on this season.

Jonathan Lewis

Freshman

Forward

Men’s Soccer

While Stuart Holthusen did a lot of the scoring over the past week, the playmaking of Lewis was just as important to the Zips’ success. Lewis recorded three assists in the two games, two on goals by Holthusen and another on Ezana Kahsay’s goal versus Western Michigan. Also, Lewis scored his second goal of the season against Grand Canyon. Lewis is tied with Holthusen for second on the team in points with 13, and he leads the Zips in assists with nine. His nine assists are five more than Adam Najem’s four, which ranks second on the team. Lewis will look to continue his excellent play this weekend in the MAC Tournament.

About the Writer
Jake Allen, Sports Editor

330-972-7362

sports-editor@buchtelite.com

Communications major