Experience the rock

“The benefits of starting a new semester: spending your summer savings on books, running into class late because you can’t find a parking spot and spending more time waiting for machines than working out at the Student Recreation & Wellness Center. Although it may seem impossible to find time to effectively workout through the chaos at the beginning of the semester, there are many ways on campus to get in an inexpensive and thorough workout.”

The benefits of starting a new semester: spending your summer savings on books, running into class late because you can’t find a parking spot and spending more time waiting for machines than working out at the Student Recreation & Wellness Center.

Although it may seem impossible to find time to effectively workout through the chaos at the beginning of the semester, there are many ways on campus to get in an inexpensive and thorough workout.

Instead of heading over to the treadmills or the weights, you should try the rock climbing wall. The 53 and a half foot tall wall challenges you to use muscle groups in unison that would otherwise be difficult to find enough time and correct techniques to completely workout.

The Rec lets you climb once for free, and even if you’re afraid of heights, you can take advantage of the Bouldering Arch, where climbing under 12 feet is free.

Once you’ve discovered the benefits of this total body workout, you must take the two-hour Introduction to Indoor Rock Climbing and Belay Technique Class to become familiar with the equipment, techniques, and safety skills needed to make it to the top. Then, you must prove your knowledge and ability to climb in a free Belay Endorsement Test. Once you’re endorsed, don’t wait any longer for a great workout; climb on until you reach your peak performance.

Outdoor Adventure Services provides various trips and events throughout the semester to strengthen your rock climbing skills. Contact them at (330)-972-6956 to learn how you can improve your conditioning and toning strategies.