Writing Skills Important

“So it’s the fourth week of classes and the homework, projects, and tests are beginning to pile up. For many students, the routine becomes getting as much homework done before going back and forth between work and class. Soon enough, the inevitable research paper arrives.”

So it’s the fourth week of classes and the homework, projects, and tests are beginning to pile up. For many students, the routine becomes getting as much homework done before going back and forth between work and class.

Soon enough, the inevitable research paper arrives. It may be of any duration, but it usually involves incorporating some sort of scholarly research into what you write and drawing conclusions based upon evidence. Throughout our college careers, these papers become more ubiquitous.

The goal of papers should be to research more about a topic, explore what it’s about, form conclusions, develop perspective and, ultimately, learn something about a topic.

Plus, having papers to write and research to do makes the curriculum more exciting than the usual read-a-book, memorize, regurgitate routine that we’re used to.

But, most of the time, we don’t spend as much time as we should writing our research papers.

And, as a consequence, few of us learn to write good. Oops, I mean ‘write well’.

I believe that if students saw just how important writing well is and will continue to be, maybe a little more effort would be put forth when it comes to writing papers.

First of all, nearly every single class taken in college is going to involve writing at least one paper. Most of the time, there are several per semester, per class. The guidelines and standards become progressively more difficult, so an understanding of writing becomes necessary to do well.

Next, writing is a reflection of who you are. In the business world, an employer may only know you through what you write. It is better if that writing is articulate, clear, and meaningful as opposed to being filled with spelling and grammar errors. Writing well will help you maintain a good impression.

Finally, writing is important for self-expression. If you clearly understand the point you want to make and can present it throughly, the product of the effort is gratifying.

Whatever your reason for writing, whether it be required for a class or to express yourself, the importance of understanding the basics cannot be emphasized enough.