UA Homecoming Court nominees

“The week of Oct. 8 through 14 is Homecoming Week at UA. Voting for Homecoming King and Queen will begin Sept. 25 at 8 a.m. and end at noon on Oct. 1. The selection will be based on the results of voting and on an interview process. Each candidate will present on the topic Roo Town, this is your team! How have made the University of Akron my town.”

The week of Oct. 8 through 14 is Homecoming Week at UA.

Voting for Homecoming King and Queen will begin Sept. 25 at 8 a.m. and end at noon on Oct. 1.

The selection will be based on the results of voting and on an interview process. Each candidate will present on the topic Roo Town, this is your team! How have made the University of Akron my town. The presentation will be five minutes, followed by a 10-minute question-and-answer session before the five-member judging panel.

According to Lorri March, assistant director of Campus Programs, the panel is made up of two faculty members, two administrators and one student. The members’ names cannot be disclosed, March said, until after the judging, so as not to give anyone an unfair advantage, and no one is asked to judge twice.

The results of voting will be posted online after 1 p.m. on Oct. 1 and the court will be presented at noon on Oct. 10.

Students may vote at www.uakron.edu/vote for as many as five men and five women.

The Homecoming Dance will be held from 8 p.m. to 12 a.m. on Oct. 12. Tickets will be $8 pre-sale from the Student Union Information Center and $10 at the door.

Other homecoming events include ‘Movie Munchies Mania Themed Food Day’ in the Union Market on Oct. 8 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.

SAMS Rock Alike will be at 9 p.m. on Oct. 9 in the Student Union Ballroom.

Jared Campbell will perform at E.J. Thomas from 11:30 a.m. till 1 p.m. and a ‘Movie Munchies Mania Themed Food Day’ will be from 4 to 7 p.m. at Rob’s on Oct. 10.

The Red Carpet Pre-Show Party will be held outside the Union Market on Oct. 11 beginning at 6 p.m., featuring a hotdog-eating contest and a chance to win two $50 Best Buy gift cards. A Cornhole Tournament will be held at 6:30 p.m.

Colin Mochrie and Brad Sherwood of Whose Line is it Anyway will perform at E.J. Thomas Hall on Oct. 12. Tickets will be $27.50 each.

Family Weekend will also be during Homecoming week.

It will kick off with registration from 9 to 11 a.m. on Oct. 13 on the third floor of the Student Union. The Roo-Town Brunch will be from 10 a.m. until noon in Ballroom A. The cost will be $15 or $6 for children five and under. The Steel Drum Band will be performing at the same time in Ballroom A.

The Family Fun Fest will take place on the second floor of the Union from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The Parents and Family Association will meet from noon to 1 p.m. in the Student Union room 300.

The Student Recreation and Wellness Center will host Family Fun Day from noon to 4 p.m.

A Capella Nuance will perform in the Student Union Starbucks from 12:45 to 1:30 p.m. and Rob’s will host an Open House from 1 to 2 p.m.

Something Dada, a comedy troupe based in Cleveland will perform from 2 to 3 p.m. in the Union Ballroom.

Sports fans can attend the Zips Football game against the Temple Owls. It starts at 6 p.m. at the Rubber Bowl.

Docs Who Rock IV will begin at 7 p.m. at E.J. Thomas. Tickets will be $6 with a Student ID.

A Fashion Show will be held at 6 p.m. in the Student Union Ballroom on Oct. 14. Tickets will be $10.