Zips sputter on road trip

“After being ranked No. 18 in the NSCAA/Adidas poll, the University of Akron men’s soccer team fell to top-ranked Wake Forest Friday and North Carolina Sunday at the Wake Forest Tournament. Sophomore Ben Zemanski scored on an assist from freshman Anthony Ampaipitakwong in the second minute of the match against Wake Forest.”

After being ranked No. 18 in the NSCAA/Adidas poll, the University of Akron men’s soccer team fell to top-ranked Wake Forest Friday and North Carolina Sunday at the Wake Forest Tournament.

Sophomore Ben Zemanski scored on an assist from freshman Anthony Ampaipitakwong in the second minute of the match against Wake Forest.

The Deamon Deacons countered with goals in the 14th, 56th and 73th minute, putting a Zips victory out of reach and giving Wake Forest the 3-1 win.

Coach Caleb Porter saw the game as a measuring stick for his team.

We keep in perspective that we are measuring ourselves against the nation’s best, he said. It gave us a realistic look at how good our team is.

Following Friday’s loss, the Zips (2-2-0) looked to bounce back against North Carolina Sunday but costly mistakes led to a 3-0 loss.

Freshman Blair Gavin was red-carded in the third minute and was unable to return to the game.

The Zips were forced to play a man down for 40 minutes.

We can’t dig ourselves a hole against great teams, Porter said. We came out a little flat in the second half as well.

Though the Zips gave up six goals in the Wake Forest Tournament, Porter said the team had as many good chances to make big plays as the other teams.

If this weekend was a measuring stick for how good the 2007 men’s squad will be, two losses to top teams will only help to motivate the Zips to learn from the mistakes made during the tournament.

Our team only benefits from playing top programs, but now we are focused on UIC, Porter said. They are a very talented and well-coached team.

The Zips will turn their focus towards UIC Thursday at Lee Jackson Field at 7:30 p.m.